Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > sanitizer for wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2007, 08:59 AM   #1
Dark_Ale
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default sanitizer for wine

I have been out of the wine making for a while now, but slowing moving back into it. What should I use to sanitize my secondary? I thought I used camden tablets in the past but I cant remember. I have camden tablets, potassium metibisulfite..........I can use either and not have to worry about rinsing anything right? Also the brew shop says dont add 1 camden tablet per gallon when trasnfering? Has this changed, they told me to add it prior to bottling?
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2007, 01:01 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4947 Times on 3584 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

I use one-step for all my sanitizing, but you could use the sulfite you have. Either the campden tablets or the powder. It's cheaper to use and mix up the powder. And it's no rinse.

As far as adding the campden, if you don't have an so2 meter (and I don't), you should add it every other racking at the dosage of 1 crushed campden tablet per gallon. That should keep you in the 50 ppm range. And of course at bottling. So, if you used campden in the primary, I wouldn't add it when racking to secondary- but I would the next time. I write this all down in my notes so I know when to add it. Some day I'll get a meter and then I won't have to do this!

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 06-15-2007, 05:28 PM   #3
jpuf
Recipes 

So do you add water to the crushed tablets? or just rack onto the powder? I'm trying to halt oxidation in my mead.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:03 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

You crush the tablets and then dissolve in hot water. That makes them easier to dissolve. Just a little water works fine, as long as it's completely dissolved. Do NOT put your face over this though- hot sulfur fumes will be coming out of it. After it cools slightly, put it into the receiving carboy and then rack the wine quietly into it.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:35 PM   #5
Dark_Ale
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The potassium sulfite I have says to add 1/2 teaspoon per pint of water.
I was going to clean the carboy really good and then sanitize with the pint of water and swirl it around in the carboy and totally coat the inside and then pour out....Is this enough? Should I let it dry upside down?

Old 06-16-2007, 04:01 AM   #6
mgayer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

potassium metibisulfite is what I use for corks and bottles and rinsing the carboys. I mix up a couple gallons worth and then soak the corks and rinse the bottles then I put it in jugs and cap it. They told me at the hb shop it would last a couple months if I kept it capped.

Yooper chick do you soak your corks in the one-step? I think I will give it a try if I can and will the one-step last if I put it in bottles?

In the Carboy:
Red wine
Roman Raisin Wine
Bottle aging/drinking:
Mead
Apple Wine (15% abv)
Strawberry Wine
Elder Flower Wine
Blue moon Clone

Old 06-17-2007, 07:12 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgayer
potassium metibisulfite is what I use for corks and bottles and rinsing the carboys. I mix up a couple gallons worth and then soak the corks and rinse the bottles then I put it in jugs and cap it. They told me at the hb shop it would last a couple months if I kept it capped.

Yooper chick do you soak your corks in the one-step? I think I will give it a try if I can and will the one-step last if I put it in bottles?
I don't soak my corks in one step. I just have them moistened with the sulfite solution for a while before corking.

The LHBS told me that one-step is good as long as it is making that "bubbling" sound. I usually keep it in a white milk jug under the sink and use it for a couple of weeks. I make fresh after that, so I don't know how long it would last.

Quick Reply