Since I haven't read about anyone else actually making Salal wine and posting their work and outcome, I thought I would do so.
A bit ago I picked 4.52 lbs of Salal berries. They are a very dark, black berry, about 1/2 inch long and the flower side looks like bit like a miniature olive with the X where the pit was removed.
I for the most part, I followed the recipe of the famous Jack Keller ( http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/salal.asp) (recipe 1) with a reduction of sugar and acid blend till I test the must tomorrow.
4.52 lbs of Salal berries
1 lb sugar
6.5 pts water
1/4 tsp acid blend
1 crushed Campden tablet
1 tsp yeast nutrient.
I hand picked the Salal berries and when I went through them, I found a few small worms or caterpillars that were about 1/4 inch long ..then I rinsed the berries, trying to ensure there weren't more.
When I took the berries out of the bag, I wasn't so mindful and put the berries in the bucket instead of a mesh bag. ..so I moved them into the mesh back ...then added water and started mashing the berries.
That's when I noticed a few (three actually) more of those wormy things.
Well I removed them ...AND I know that happens ..with grapes or other fruits, there's bound to be "flavourful additions" - but it didn't make the tasting appealing (never mind the fact that I had eaten a few of these while picking!). If there are more, they are in the mesh bag ..out of sight ..not so out of mind.
But tasted it, I did.
Hard to describe. Definitely a berry flavour - with something else (besides worms (maybe)), a barely perceptible mint taste and "nutty" flavour.
It was good. I liked it. The berries produced a superb dark rich color. Like blackberries.
Although there are these little seeds that are coming out through the mesh. Hopefully they won't be too bothersome.
Will post more tomorrow.