Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Rw Knudsen Juice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #11
Nwa-brewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Lemon? Thats my next learning curve is the acidity etc. I will have to try that!

Thats not a bad idea substituting water with juice. I need a bigger utility room and more carboys...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #12
MzAnnie
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwa-brewing View Post
Lemon? Thats my next learning curve is the acidity etc. I will have to try that!

Thats not a bad idea substituting water with juice. I need a bigger utility room and more carboys...
I almost built a wine cellar, but I would have had to use alot of insulation to try and keep it at 70 degrees year round, in Mississippi. So I just limit myself to 10-5 gallons at a time. It took me about 8 months (I am not one to let my wine age out much, unless it is really crappy or Carmel Apple Mead) to get to the place where, when 5 gallons are bottled, 5 more are made. The husband and I drink one glass a nite, for medicinal purposes.
The production line way keeps me from having to build a cellar, as dark and dank, here, is not a good combination and mold grows in the sunlight. My utility room suffices, and I found a spot on the north side of the house, in a corner, to build shelves for the bottles, that stays @ 75 degrees, with out having air conditioning. In the summer, alot of people are overwelmed, after they are done (or sick of)canning, by the amount of produce they have, ie, pears (especially, because they come with alot of bees)and berries, and the like, so you can get a lot of free produce, just by offering up a bottle of wine or two. So put the word out early.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #13
Nwa-brewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzAnnie View Post
I almost built a wine cellar, but I would have had to use alot of insulation to try and keep it at 70 degrees year round, in Mississippi. So I just limit myself to 10-5 gallons at a time. It took me about 8 months (I am not one to let my wine age out much, unless it is really crappy or Carmel Apple Mead) to get to the place where, when 5 gallons are bottled, 5 more are made. The husband and I drink one glass a nite, for medicinal purposes.
The production line way keeps me from having to build a cellar, as dark and dank, here, is not a good combination and mold grows in the sunlight. My utility room suffices, and I found a spot on the north side of the house, in a corner, to build shelves for the bottles, that stays @ 75 degrees, with out having air conditioning. In the summer, alot of people are overwelmed, after they are done (or sick of)canning, by the amount of produce they have, ie, pears (especially, because they come with alot of bees)and berries, and the like, so you can get a lot of free produce, just by offering up a bottle of wine or two. So put the word out early.
I will definitely have to start putting a bug in peoples ear about the left over fruits!!

Once me and the wife get a bigger house, one of two things, i will get to turn part of the storm cellar into a wine storage or might build a little will insulated hut thing :-)

Old 11-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #14
TexasWine
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just curious how this turned out for you. Did you end up using all juice? I picked up some Knudsen just blueberry and tart cherry yesterday. Hoping to find someone who has gone down this path before so I don't mess up this really expensive juice.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:57 PM   #15
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I use these juices to flavor my apple cider. Using a 4 gallon apple cider base, I add 3 qts to 1 gallon of the Knudsen to flavor/back sweeten after the apple has finished fermenting. I particularly like the Tart Cherry blended with apple. If I need to adjust acidity I use Malic Acid.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 11-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #16
Nwa-brewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

It turned out very good I made a blueberry pomegranate used 3 gallons total of juice and 2 gallons of water. The overall taste was great with what I would consider a medium-light body.

If you make it out of 100% knudsen juice it will just be that much better.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #17
WVMJ
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 21

After all the work we put into this thread you still diluted your juice? Diluted blueberry juice can only taste like diluted blueberry juice, there is no way even approaching medium body, you could have just made a Dragons Blood instead. WVMJ

Old 11-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #18
TexasWine
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVMJ View Post
After all the work we put into this thread you still diluted your juice? Diluted blueberry juice can only taste like diluted blueberry juice, there is no way even approaching medium body, you could have just made a Dragons Blood instead. WVMJ
Really sorry for hijacking this thread, but I was debating this exact thing (whether to use all juice or not). I planned on modifying one of Jack Keller's full body recipes that uses actual berries to accommodate juice instead. He uses some water, but also throws in LDME and red grape concentrate.

Would you still recommend using all blueberry juice instead of the red grape concentrate for a recipe like that?

Old 11-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #19
WVMJ
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Why not use both? If you are trying to make a good wine dont add water, add something with flavor, the only time to add water is if the fruit is too acidic such as with currants, its hard to go all juice with them without backsweetening too much, or something like black raspberries, hard to go all black raspberry juice, something almost coats your tongue and blocks the taste, 5lb/gal black rasp, but then add some grape juice instead of water, when using these store juices even if its 100% juice its going to be a little thin, go all juice whenever possible. All that being said its most important to make the wines you like to drink, if you like weak wine with little fruit in it make that kind, its yours, if you want so much fruit in there that you concentrate them like syrup and can get it to ferment more power to you I always stand in the middle WVMJ

Old 11-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #20
Nwa-brewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVMJ View Post
Well I was trying something, and the wine still came out excellent. Still had plenty of flavor if I had used 100% of the juice I have no doubt it would have even been better. But I was still very pleased with the results

Quick Reply