Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Rum bottles for wine?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2009, 07:04 PM   #1
jay29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Rum bottles for wine?

My wife and I go through a lot of Bacardi Silver rum (I know, alkis ) and we have many of these bottles. Can they be used for wine?

Kegged: MT
Drinking on tap: Jamil's Brown Porter, Jamil's English IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2009, 07:07 PM   #2
pizzaman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You can use just about any type of bottle you choose for wine, preferably glass. I've used recycled 40oz beer bottles with great success. I just wouldn't give away any wine in em as it looks tacky and people give you funny looks. When people think of wine they think of a cork. On another note, not sure how the aroma of rum would affect the character of the wine but I'm sure a good enough sanitizer soaking would fix that.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:23 PM   #3
JVD_X
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yep, you can use those... in fact, I use beer bottles for wine as well. I cork a few for friends then use a wine-on-tap or beer bottles. It turns out that beer bottles are the best way to serve mist-style wines - they are very popular.

BTW - you should really try DonQ Crystal for your rum-and-cokes, sprite-and-cokes, and especially mojotos. They also make an excellent Anejo Rum.

My wife and I were in Ponce, PR for part of a vacation and got hooked on the DonQ rums.

- JVD_X

Old 08-24-2009, 07:32 PM   #4
jay29
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Would a number 9 cork fit the rum bottle I wonder? I haven't bought the corker and corks yet.

We drink Bacardi silver because it is $15 a bottle and we go through a case per month, at least.

Kegged: MT
Drinking on tap: Jamil's Brown Porter, Jamil's English IPA

Old 08-24-2009, 07:43 PM   #5
jevchance
Recipes 

It will work as long as you can get the cap to seal up properly.

May have to do some experimentation with different sized corks if you want to go that route. If the cork is too small, you may end up having oxidation or blown out corks.

Primarys: Empty
1 Gallon Secondaries: Strawberry Wine | Strawberry Wine | Red Raspberry Wine | Blueberry Raisin Wine
5 Gallon Secondaries: Hard Cider | Hard Cider
Bottle Conditioning: Brewers Best Red Ale
Drinking: 3 Year Mead or Banana Wine, Brewers Best American Light Ale, Apfelwein (Hooch)

Quick Reply