New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Rice Wine?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #21
Taylor-MadeAK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Well I'll admit that's the first time I've seen that recipe not being billed as a recipe for sake. You may or may not enjoy the end result, but I would like to correct you on one matter: This recipe will not yield something equivalent to "whisky potency." Whisky is generally around 40% alcohol by volume, while the maximum this recipe will yield will be around 16% ABV. It may taste very alcoholic, but that's due to higher weight alcohols known as fusels that are produced by yeast when allowed to ferment at higher temperature ranges. Those are the same compounds that cause hangovers, so caution is advised.

If you ever want to try your hand at making real sake, click the link in my sig.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 06:16 PM   #22
rocky6501
Recipes 

I endorse Taylor-MadeAK's resources. I'm currently building my moto, having built up my Koji culture over the weekend, surprisingly successfully, I might add.

BTW, Taylor-Made, I just posted a question about storing the Koji in the short term while building up my batch. If you have a moment, I'd appreciate any advice you may lend:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/sake-rice-wine-question-short-term-storage-kome-koji-229290/

Old 03-02-2011, 08:27 PM   #23
Taylor-MadeAK
Recipes 

Sure, I'll have a look. =)

Quick Reply