Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Rice Wine?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2006, 01:30 PM   #1
hong
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Rice Wine?

Can someone give me a recipe for a strong rice wine? I have wanted to make a batch of rice wine for ages now, but just cannot seem to get a decent recipe.
Thanks for any help

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2006, 01:49 PM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Would that be sake, or is that a beer and not a wine?

Old 03-21-2006, 03:27 PM   #3
hong
Recipes 

just a simple ( as possible ) rice wine recipe i need and any advice too. I have sake recipes and they are way out of my league, i just like nice easy recipes with strong results! I am no wine conniseur, just like to get hammered with it!

Old 03-21-2006, 04:04 PM   #4
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I know THAT feeling! I don't think I can help you , but I'll keep my eye out for something.

Old 04-16-2006, 10:46 PM   #5
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

AND WHY NOT!!!! Quiet night in the UK after i've bottled my white wine....
Old 04-17-2006, 12:03 AM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

I've never made it, but with five pounds of fermentables in a gallon, this ought to do the trick.
Rice Wine

Makes one gallon.

Ingredients:
2-1/2 lbs. Rice 7 Pints Water
2-1/2 lbs. Sugar 1/2 pt Red Grape Concetrate
3 tsp Acid Blend 3/4 tsp Yeast Energizer
1 Pkg Sherry Yeast 1 Campden Tablet

Keep your acid tester and hydrometer handy. As with all wild fruit the sugar and acid content varies greatly from year to year and even from one location to another. The recipe above is a general recipe to use which you may have to adjust.

Directions:

1. Use husked or raw rice, rather than polished rice.
2. Wash and coarse crush the rice. Place rice into nylon straining bag and tie top. Put bag in primary fermenter.
3. Pour hot water over bag.
4. Stir in all other ingredients EXCEPT yeast and energizer. Cover primary.
5. After 48hrs., add yeast . Cover primary.
6. Stir daily, check hydrometer reading (S.G.) and press pulp lightly to aid extraction.
7. When ferment reaches S.G. 1.050 (about 2-3days) add another 1/4 lb. dissolved sugar per gallon.
8. When S.G. reaches 1.030 (6-7 days) strain juice from bag. Syphon off sediment into clean secondary. Attach airlock.
9. At S.G. 1.020 add another 1/4 lb. of dissolved sugar per gallon.
10. When S.G. reaches 1.000 (usually about 3 weeks), fermentation is complete. Syphon juice off sediment into clean glass container. Re-attach airlock.
11. To aid in clearing, syphon again in 2 months and again, if necessary, before bottling.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-18-2006, 07:36 PM   #7
jssocal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hong
Can someone give me a recipe for a strong rice wine? I have wanted to make a batch of rice wine for ages now, but just cannot seem to get a decent recipe.
Thanks for any help
Here is simple recipe to make rice wine.
1. Wash short or medium rice and boil.(hard-boiled rice)
2. Cool it and add 100-150% water with small amount of yeast.
(You can purchase yeast called Noo-rook in Korean language at a Korean supermarket that will cost 2-4 dollars/lb.)
3. Let it ferment for a week at a warm place (about 25 dgree C).
4. You can enjoy its whispering, drizzling, streaming sound while fermenting.
5. But avoid the mash's temperature over 32 degree in Celcius. Best is under
30 degree. If over 32 or 33 degree, it will be sour.
6. After about 7-10 days the fermenting will be done. Its alcohol content will be around 15-16%. Filter it and enjoy....
7. If you let it settle down for more days, you can see its upper clean but yellowsh transparent liquid. That part will be so called DONG DONG JOO, and the fitered and squeezed liquid from the remain is called MACKOLY . You can add water to the initial Mackoly to make mild drink.

For your reference, Dong Dong Joo is of about 15% alcohol content and Mackoly is of about 8-10% alcohol content. Mackoly is well known for its numerous healthful advanages...
help digestion, easy sleep, anti-cancer, protect liver, etc, etc....
Soju distilled from Mackoly is genuine and known very effective in preventing and dissolving thrombus to revitalize blood. (different from commercial Soju or Shochu)
Most imported rice wine products are heat treated to prolong shelf life and engymes in it are considered dead and not effective.
If you are interested in making the yeast(Noo-Rook) for rice wine, let me know.
Good luck!
Old 05-11-2006, 04:53 AM   #8
mimi
Recipes 

Default makkulli

Thank you for your recipe, I've been searching everywhere for a traditional makkulli recipe. I had a few questions...
What do you recommend to brew it in? A pot? Is metal all right?
Do you cover the brew while it is fermenting?
Thank you for your help, I am so excited to try making it!
~mimi

Old 07-23-2006, 03:59 PM   #9
dsearcher5
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jssocal
(You can purchase yeast called Noo-rook in Korean language at a Korean supermarket that will cost 2-4 dollars/lb.)
6. After about 7-10 days the fermenting will be done. Its alcohol content will be around 15-16%. Filter it and enjoy....
7. If you let it settle down for more days, you can see its upper clean but yellowsh transparent liquid. That part will be so called DONG DONG JOO, and the fitered and squeezed liquid from the remain is called MACKOLY . You can add water to the initial Mackoly to make mild drink.

For your reference, Dong Dong Joo is of about 15% alcohol content and Mackoly is of about 8-10% alcohol content. Mackoly is well known for its numerous healthful advanages...
Soju distilled from Mackoly is genuine and known very effective in preventing and dissolving thrombus to revitalize blood. (different from commercial Soju or Shochu)
Most imported rice wine products are heat treated to prolong shelf life and engymes in it are considered dead and not effective.
Good luck!
I would appreciate the recipe for the Noo-Rook yeast mix for Mackoly. Thanks

Old 09-01-2006, 01:09 AM   #10
Quixote
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jssocal

Good luck!
Hi! I'm looking to make my own rice wine as well, and I'm wondering if it would be possible to get a few more specifics. This looks like a good recipe for me because it is fairly simple. I'd like to know if I can steam the rice rather than boil it. Also, what kind of container would be the best to use for the fermenting process? Exactly how much yeast would be good to use? Assuming I would like to make 15 litres of wine, what would be the appropriate measurements for the ingredients?

Sorry for all of the questions. I'm new to this, but I'd like to do it right the first time without getting sick.

Thanks very much for any help that you can offer!

Quick Reply