Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Rhubarb question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2010, 03:10 AM   #1
Goat_Nutz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Rhubarb question

So i found a recipe I wanted to try for rhubarb wine. I was talking with my brother about it and he tried to talk me out of it, swearing that "anything with rhubarb in it goes bad real fast". I like to make batches and put a bottle in the basement for long periods of time and see how they age out. Just wondering if maybe rhubarb does suffer from this and maybe I should fight my normal urge to age a bottle out.

Goat_Nutz

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2010, 10:17 AM   #2
Priemus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My parents used to make this alot, you kinda have to age it for at least half a year. It takes time to mellow out. I think 10months is where it becomes best.

If your talking about aging it for years? Ive no idea, once it hits age it never seemed to last long

Old 06-09-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

I just bottled 6 gallons of 2008 rhubarb wine. It's not quite ready to drink yet, since I used too much rhubarb!

If you get an ABV of 12-15%, and use proper winemaking techniques and store it well, the wine should last for 5-10 years before the flavor fades. It won't ever "go bad" but it might not taste as good after that.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:42 AM   #4
Goat_Nutz
Recipes 

So I got 20 pounds of rhubarb from my friend. I went with a rhubarb/strawberry mead for starters, its crashing in the fridge as we speak. If that turns out i'm going for the wine. Wish me luck.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:58 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

My favorite recipe for rhubarb wine is posted here. The one I did 2 years ago came from Jack Keller's website. Usually, his recipes are fantastic, but this one isn't very good ( it used WAY too much rhubarb) and I don't recommend using more than 3 pounds of rhubarb per gallon of wine based on that experience!

Old 06-14-2010, 02:29 PM   #6
Solo1013
Recipes 

I started a batch of rhubarb wine using YooperBrew's recipe a couple of days ago. I followed the instructions perfectly with one hold up. I added campden along with other ingrediants about 12 hours before adding Montrachet yeast. Will the campden inhibit my yeast from reproducing? If so, what can I do about it?

Old 06-14-2010, 02:32 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo1013 View Post
I started a batch of rhubarb wine using YooperBrew's recipe a couple of days ago. I followed the instructions perfectly with one hold up. I added campden along with other ingrediants about 12 hours before adding Montrachet yeast. Will the campden inhibit my yeast from reproducing? If so, what can I do about it?
No, it will be fine. Wine yeast are actually pretty tolerant of sulfites. I try to wait 24 hours, to be certain, but I've often forgotten and added the yeast right away. Much of the sulfites have disipated by 12 hours anyway, so it's nothing to worry about!

You can stir up the must a bit, just to encourage it to get working if it hasn't started up yet.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
Solo1013
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
No, it will be fine. Wine yeast are actually pretty tolerant of sulfites. I try to wait 24 hours, to be certain, but I've often forgotten and added the yeast right away. Much of the sulfites have disipated by 12 hours anyway, so it's nothing to worry about!

You can stir up the must a bit, just to encourage it to get working if it hasn't started up yet.
Thanks so much!

How many days does it typically take for the specific gravity to get into the 1.020-1.040 range? Is that the 5 days listed in the primary?

Old 06-14-2010, 02:48 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo1013 View Post
Thanks so much!

How many days does it typically take for the specific gravity to get into the 1.020-1.040 range? Is that the 5 days listed in the primary?
Yes. Sometimes faster, sometimes slower but 5 days is a good guestimate.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:57 PM   #10
Solo1013
Recipes 

I've had my Montrachet yeast in the wine for 3 full days now and the specific gravity started at just over 1.090 and hasn't budged. I don't have an airlock on the carboy as the recipe calls for it to be covered with a towel for the first several days so I haven't been able to tell if any gas has been released. I checked my thermostat and it is roughly 68 degrees in my house.

The specific gravity started at just over 1.090 and hasn't moved.

I may just be worried because I am new to brewing wine, but is this long of a gestation peroid for the yeast something to be worried about? I plan on just letting it sit, perhaps giving it a good stir everyday to encourage it.

Any insight would be great, thanks.

Quick Reply