The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > On Rhino Farts . . . .

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2007, 06:32 AM   #21
Adolphus79
EAC in training
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Of all the Apfelwein I've made, I have never noticed the rhino farts... it does certainly smell like fermenting apples, but not an unpleasent smell at all...

Every batch has used Surefine brand apple juice (with ascorbic) and Montrachet, although I have tried different sugars...

And not a hangover yet, even after some nights consuming as much as 3 liters per person... ok, one night, and that was a mistake, but still no hangover...

Cheers,
Mike

"Give me yesterday's bread, this day's flesh, and last year's cyder." - Benjamin Franklin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2007, 07:03 AM   #22
scottaustin
Recipes 

TexLaw --------- What recipe did you use, Scott?

Used Treetop, followed EdWort's recipe as best as I could
I did aerate quite a bit when mixing though. Still no off smells, unless you are right next to air lock

Primary:
Secondary: UPS Truck Brown Ale
Secondary 2: Kolsch

Bottle Conditioning: Floating Debris Red Ale (1st beer), Ed's Apfelwein, Oatmeal Stout

Old 11-13-2007, 02:54 PM   #23
APendejo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Stirred up my second batch last Sunday afternoon. The first batch started fermenting in the mid 60's ambient temp. No really bad smell. This second batch it got back up into the low 80's yesterday. This morning I woke up and it smelled like an egg salad sandwich factory all thru the kitchen and living room. The smell has subsided from the airlock now.This was with the Lalvin 1116 yeast.
AP

Old 08-22-2008, 11:07 PM   #24
chriswilkes33
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLaw View Post
Folks,

I've only completed one batch of Ed's apfelwein, and I've only pitched one other. So far, though, we've avoided the "rhino farts" without adding yeast nutrient. We could just be fortunate, but just in case, I thought I would mention a few deviations from Ed's original recipe that may make the difference:

First, I've used juice that contains ascorbic acid. It's what I find, it's awfully yummy, and it's cheaper than the other stuff. I don't know why ascorbic acid would make a difference (other than some funky organic molecule thing that I've forgotten). Even moreso, I don't know that it does make a difference, but it's a deviation from Ed's original recipe, so I note it here. Perhaps the collective experience can confirm or dismiss this possibility.

Second, I've used Hill Country Fare (i.e., HEB's store brand) and Maker's Mark (i.e., Sam's store brand) juice. I know I read in the nearly 2300 posts in the apflewein thread that someone else did the same. Perhaps these juices don't have the sulfur content of Tree Top? I don't know, but it's just something else to note. If you used HCF or Maker's Mark juice, please chime in and help confirm or dismiss this possibility.

Third, I aeriated nearly all the juice, rather than about a gallon. In fact, all but about the first half gallon of juice gets a good shaking before it goes in. It occurred to me while dissolving some of the dextrose that yeast likes oxygen to get started, so I went ahead and shook it all up, pouring about half of one bottle into one of the empty bottles for shaking. Yes, it's a little more hassle, but shaking is fun. Of all the possibilities, this one makes the most sense, as the rhino farts seem to be a symptom of stressed yeast (thus, the yeast nutrient solution). I'm curious to hear what the rest of you have to say.

So, any thoughts or (even better) experiences to add? I could do without the rhino farts, and I'm just wondering if I've been lucky or if there's a better reason.

TL
I uses HEB apple juice with absorbic acid, aerated as you did, montrachet wine yeast, and definately have rhino fart smell...In fact Im glad I found this post because I have answered a question I asked in another forum...

Old 08-23-2008, 03:35 AM   #25
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 683 Times on 485 Posts
Likes Given: 1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLaw View Post
Folks,

I've only completed one batch of Ed's apfelwein, and I've only pitched one other. So far, though, we've avoided the "rhino farts" without adding yeast nutrient. We could just be fortunate, but just in case, I thought I would mention a few deviations from Ed's original recipe that may make the difference:

First, I've used juice that contains ascorbic acid. It's what I find, it's awfully yummy, and it's cheaper than the other stuff. I don't know why ascorbic acid would make a difference (other than some funky organic molecule thing that I've forgotten). Even moreso, I don't know that it does make a difference, but it's a deviation from Ed's original recipe, so I note it here. Perhaps the collective experience can confirm or dismiss this possibility.

Second, I've used Hill Country Fare (i.e., HEB's store brand) and Maker's Mark (i.e., Sam's store brand) juice. I know I read in the nearly 2300 posts in the apflewein thread that someone else did the same. Perhaps these juices don't have the sulfur content of Tree Top? I don't know, but it's just something else to note. If you used HCF or Maker's Mark juice, please chime in and help confirm or dismiss this possibility.

Third, I aeriated nearly all the juice, rather than about a gallon. In fact, all but about the first half gallon of juice gets a good shaking before it goes in. It occurred to me while dissolving some of the dextrose that yeast likes oxygen to get started, so I went ahead and shook it all up, pouring about half of one bottle into one of the empty bottles for shaking. Yes, it's a little more hassle, but shaking is fun. Of all the possibilities, this one makes the most sense, as the rhino farts seem to be a symptom of stressed yeast (thus, the yeast nutrient solution). I'm curious to hear what the rest of you have to say.

So, any thoughts or (even better) experiences to add? I could do without the rhino farts, and I'm just wondering if I've been lucky or if there's a better reason.

TL
I used Tree Top brand apple juice (as per Ed Wort's recipe) And with the exception of adding yeast nutrient, yeast energizer & a little xtra DAP (diammonium phosphate), the original recipe was maintained. Only 2 gallons of juice were shaken/areated (to disolve sugar) and both for only about 1 minute or less. I was BARELY able to detect any sulphur odor, even when I put my nose right up to the airlock for a good whiff. Even then the BARELY detectable stuff was only present for a day or two... And I do mean BARELY. This stuff is fermenting under my desk as I type this & has done so from the beginning with NO discernable sulphur smell without putting your nose up against the airlock. That's my 2 cents worth. Regards, GF.

Last edited by gratus fermentatio; 08-23-2008 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Spelling correction.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:10 AM   #26
Pogo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Bacon grease! Bacon grease! (to southern-ize a Yankee expression.)

I finally used Ed's (THANKS Ed - BTW- for sharing your recipe) original Apfelwein yeast, Montrachet, in the 6-gallon batch of Apfelwein that I started yeast-erday (get it!).

And, today, I am less than impressed!

This had better taste way better than my batch with EC-1118, or the four other packets of Montrachet are going to be experimented with in bread dough!

I did vary Ed's recipe a little. I used 2 pounds of cane sugar, instead of corn, and I added 6 teaspoons of nutrient to the process.

Thankfully, the gas isn't rotten-eggy, but it may be even worse. It's kicking out major sickly-sweet apple-ie goodness gasses that burn my nose.

To make matters worse, I put the carboy right next to the table my computer is on!

This gas is KILLING me!

I'm ready to surrender...I'll gladly accept less taste with less smell!

Pogo

Old 08-26-2008, 01:35 AM   #27
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 683 Times on 485 Posts
Likes Given: 1677

Pogo: Sounds like it's working. <LOL> I've read that cane sugar will impart an even more "cidery" taste to things. I'm starting to think that MAYBE 1 of the keys (tho not the only one) to eliminating the sulphur smells with montrachet is added DAP (diammonium phosphate); it's just a thought. That's my 2 cents worth. Regards, GF.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:30 AM   #28
Skipstr21
Recipes 

I used Motts pasteurized with ascorbic acid. Shook only the portion with dextrose and used Montrachet yeast. It smelled like a fart alright but I don't know if I'd call it sulphur. It smells more like an onion fart. If have a White Castles restaurant in your town, you know what I'm talking about. It lasted 5-6 days and went away. Now it just smells like apples.

Primary: Kolsch
Secondary: Porter
Kegged: House Pale Ale, 80/-
Bottled: Apfelwein

Old 01-12-2009, 02:14 AM   #29
SkylerChaBro
Recipes 

Oh yeah, I have the fart.

I used 2.5 gallons of Meijer brand apple juice (no ascorbic acid)
1lb Dextrose
2pkt Montrachet yeast
Most of the apple juice probably got aerated when poured into the better bottle.

Fermentation was slow to start, so I moved it into my room. When I woke up the next morning it wreaked. I took a shower and got some clean air, came back to my room and it really hit me. It is like a sewage line burst all over my room. I moved it back to the basement where it's much cooler but when I came home from work I swear I could lightly smell it. I'm in a pretty big house so any solution as to maybe containing this would be nice.

Sulfur is a good description.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:33 PM   #30
JarrodH
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by APendejo View Post
Stirred up my second batch last Sunday afternoon. The first batch started fermenting in the mid 60's ambient temp. No really bad smell. This second batch it got back up into the low 80's yesterday. This morning I woke up and it smelled like an egg salad sandwich factory all thru the kitchen and living room. The smell has subsided from the airlock now.This was with the Lalvin 1116 yeast.
AP
I followed Edworts recipe (TreeTop apple juice corn sugar and Red Star Montrachet yeast) and I am fermenting around 70 degrees. On the second day, I am starting to get a sulphur "rhino fart" (although I admit I havent been around any farting rhino's to confirm the smell) smell to my room. What temp is everyone fermenting at?

Quick Reply