Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > reusing screw top bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #11
Stu9000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I used screw tops for a couple of years without problems. I just reused what came with the original. But in the last year I've used corks, standard size in the screw top bottle. The diameter is slightly wider and you do get the odd one that drips but I think the cork seal does age the wine better. I'm not being a purist. It takes me longer to bottle with corks, but it gives a better taste. I store them on their side with no shrink for around 3 months. The glass is definitely thinner around the top but I've not had one break yet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #12
bgeek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 311

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc View Post
LHBS sell screw cap bottles to the amateur by the case, and many use this style cap, http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...oducts_id=1346

The metal band that you speak of, that is crimped on the bottom, this is done in the commercial bottling side, not typically seen at home.
The caps you posted are for the 28mm caps which fit bottles with an opening of a 2-liter coke bottle. Many, if not most, commercial bottles of wine I have seen come with a 30mm cap.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:48 PM   #13
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeek

The caps you posted are for the 28mm caps which fit bottles with an opening of a 2-liter coke bottle. Many, if not most, commercial bottles of wine I have seen come with a 30mm cap.
I just showed an example of what that shop was listing with their screw top bottles and has listed as a screw cap for their offered wine bottles, 28mm.

If you visit ECK they carry 28mm screw top clear bottle. The 30mm lids are usually used on growlers and gallons. Have not seen a 30mm 750ml screw top in my search, 28 most common I guess.

Here is another vendor that stocks the bottles and caps, http://www.weekendbrewer.com/WineBottles.html. 28mm

I stumbled across three cases of commercial wine bottles with 28mm caps..I just finished bottling in them and capping with new black poly lids. It was a commercial label, out of NY. I know the majority of metal crimped commercial caps are 30.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 10-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #14
jensmith
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts

When I reuse screw cap bottles I leave them on their side for a couple of days. No leaks I keep them. If they leak even half a drip I re bottle or drink them right away. They are always the first bottles I drink. I keep the corked ones the longest.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:11 PM   #15
Hollie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Snap. I already ordered the 28mm caps. I hope they fit on Hogue and Monkey Bay bottles.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:35 AM   #16
ejr
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

oh well i may be wrong but i use whiskey bottles for my wine with the plastic tops in between to seal it with very little trouble for years ive never corked my wine,i do cap some of my hard lemonade and ect.

Quick Reply