Repitching after a "killer yeast"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halbrust

Reaction score
I'm making a peach/apple/white grape wine. I need to get it up over 20%.

I was planning on using K1-V1116 because it accentuates the aroma of peach do well. But then I read it is a 'killer yeast' strain and will kill any other yeast in the must.

Will the killer protein remain after the K1-V1116 dies off? Will pitching a starter of of a high tolerant champagne yeast eat the rest of the sugar?

Production of the killer protein is most closely associated with active reproduction of the yeast, so it is really only apparent during the first 2-4 days of fermentation.

Increasing ethanol (>4%), a pH outside of 4.2-4.8 range, and the concentration of SO2 dramatically affect the stability of the toxin.

With enough baby-ing, V1116 can climb >20%. If there is remaining fermentable sugar, a second pitch of champagne might help, or a large second pitch of V1116.

That should taste like rocket fuel, not fruit wine. Fruit wines seem to do best less than 12%.

Its your wine, but I wouldnt worry too mucj about "aroma" and such at 20%.

I agree it would taste better around 10%. I may do the same recipe minus some sugar to get that.

But I need to hit 20% because I will be dropping a few chunks of beef in the bottles (like snake wine, or baby mice wine)

If I wanted to get a fruit wine to 20% ABV I'd go the step feeding approach. Start with an OG around 1.100, ferment down to 1.010, then add some sugar to bring the gravity back up to 1.020. Keep doing this until you hit the ABV you want or until the yeasts poops out. Using this method weeds out the weaker yeast, survival of the fittest kind of.

You'll have to keep track of your total sugar additions to figure out the ABV, but it'll probably get you there without using the champagne yeast.

Back