Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Regular airlock vs. Duplex airlock

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2012, 01:49 AM   #11
BetterSense
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Airlocks are for wine. They have no use in beer brewing.

When I use airlocks at all (like for wine) I like the S-curve one piece. They are simpler. If I'm worried about germs I just boil them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 02:12 AM   #12
rabegetragen
Recipes 

I'm sorry, how can you argue that airlocks have no place in beer brewing? The process of fermentation and vessels in which that happens are the same. Why wouldn't the process for sealing be the same? I use my bubblers and airlocks for both beer and wine.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:17 AM   #13
InfernoBrews
Recipes 

I'm going to have to agree with rabegetragen.. They really are a must ( or something equivalent) if your doing either process correctly..

Next Up: Imperial IPA
Primary1: Pale Ale
Primary2: Low Pro IPA
Secondary:IPA with Falconers Hops, Blonde Ale

Bottled: Red Ale

Kegged:Red Ale, Wheat, HopSlam Clone, Chocolate Stout on Nitrogen, Holiday ale Left Overs On Nitrogen.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #14
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 713 Times on 500 Posts
Likes Given: 1778

I use the S lock bubbler due to vacuum issues. The 3 piece will suck liquid back into the carbouy, the S lock will only suckback air. I find the "harder to clean" issue only comes into play when you get some foam way up into the chambers; even then, a good soak will usually take care of that.
Regards, GF.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #15
GinKings
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
I thought the entire point was to keep air out of the carboy. If you're getting suckback on cold crash wouldn't it still be better to have what's getting sucked into your carboy be star san or a cheap vodka than O2?
The amount of air that would be sucked into the carboy during a cold crash would be minimal. I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #16
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The vacuum drawback (or movement drawback) is usually only a little bit of air. Pretty minimal and won't normally cause oxidation issues, unless you're that close to having one anyways.
Wierd floating things in my airlock tends to be my biggest annoyance (even if starsan or vodka is used). Also, there are times where it seems to just take all the liquid and still pull in air anyways.
I could leave the airlock off while it cools, but I'd be more concerned there. I'd use a full closure, but I just wasn't sure how the vacuum and container would react yet.

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #17
BetterSense
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
I'm sorry, how can you argue that airlocks have no place in beer brewing? The process of fermentation and vessels in which that happens are the same. Why wouldn't the process for sealing be the same? I use my bubblers and airlocks for both beer and wine.
Beer doesn't need to be sealed like wine does. Wine ferments slowly, gently, for a long time. Air locks are a good idea for wine to let out the small amount of gas that needs let off, and to help keep oxygen out for the long fermentation time.

Beer ferments quickly, generating huge amounts of foam, and is done in a couple weeks. There is no need for an airlock because you can use about any technique you want for letting C02 out. I just set the lid loosely on the bucket. When I use a carboy I either put aluminium foil over the top or just leave one of the carboy cap tubes open. If you are worried about beer literally expanding out of your container you can use a blowoff tube, but I just use a big enough container and control my temps so it all stays in the fermenter. You can even ferment in a completely open bucket if you want.

It's not that you can't use air locks in beer brewing, but you don't need to. If it wasn't for wine, I don't think anyone would have invented these tiny air lock things for beer brewing, and if anyone did they wouldn't have caught on because people would be like "who would buy that".

Old 01-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #18
rabegetragen
Recipes 

I'm sorry but you've obviously never brewed beer. Beer is far more likely to spoil due to contamination than wine. Doing the methods you described would be tantamount to killing your batch. All of the literature says that keeping the entire batch sterile for as long as possible will create a quality brew. By leaving the lid loose you leave it susceptible to contamination by bacteria and wild yeast cultures. I would challenge you to site any reputable source that says beer doesn't require some sort of fermentation lock.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #19
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Fruitflies like my beer too much, I *NEED* airlocks or a blowoff tube.

They haven't gone near my wine yet oddly enough. But it could be because they're from kits, I dunno.

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:58 AM   #20
Tw0fish
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I find the three-piece ones to be a bit sturdier - perhaps that's just the ones my LHBS stocks, but I've busted two S-types so far where they must have broken along the seam and leak

-Jordan
Who will try to ferment just about anything
"You guys just wanna get bombed and run around yelling yarr we're vikings!"

Quick Reply