Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > refractometer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
nman13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default refractometer

So i realized what the problem was regarding my "stuck" fermentation. After reading up, i realized that you cant really rely on a refractometer to get brix after the wine begins fermenting as alcohol will distort the reading. I found this conversion sheet online (link below) and when i put in my data i get a reading of negative brix. Does this make sense? can my wine have negative brix or does that just mean it has hit 0 and there is no sugar left? Thank you for your help.

http://morewinemaking.com/content/winemanuals scroll down to where it says "MoreWine! Refractometer Spreadsheet"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
saramc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When you have a negative brix that is an indication of dry. What is the reading after conversion? Typically a brix reading of less than 0 is an indicator of a S.G. less than 1. The more negative the reading, the lower the S.G.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply