The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Recipe Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
usaftrevor87
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Recipe Question

So I'm following a recipe and it says:

Thaw strawberries and grape juice concentrate.
Dissolve sugar in 5 pints water and bring to boil.
Strain juice or syrup from fruit and save liquid. Put thawed fruit in nylon straining bag in primary and crush fruit with hands.
Pour boiling water over fruit, cover primary, and set aside to cool. When cooled to 80-85° F., add grape juice concentrate, tannin, acid, yeast nutrient, reserved juice or syrup, and 1 pint water.

I'm assuming they are referring to the boiling water of sugar... Is this correct? Thats just how I'm reading it and since I'm new to this, I don't want to mess this up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
Cheesy_Goodness
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 298

Most likely yes, although if you're using plastic (or even glass in a cold environment) I would hesitate to put it in contact with water that hot. You might be ok to do it but my plastic carboy says not to put anything in it if it's over a certain degree.

You will get a lot of extra juice from the frozen fruit if you put it in contact with hot (but not necessarily boiling) water from the get-go.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply