Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Really Tart..any fixes?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
wyoast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Center, Tx
Posts: 238
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Really Tart..any fixes?

I followed Yooper's welch's juice concentrate recipe with some grape/raspberry concentrate on a 1 gallon batch.. I only added 1 tsp of pectic enzyme instead of the 2 that the recipe called for because she said that the wine ended up a little too tart for some people's taste and thet it may be able to skip it all together. I racked the wine over today and added some bentonite to help it clear on out in the next couple of weeks. the sample I took and tasted was good...dry, and the flavor was there but seemed pretty tart. Is there something I can do/add that will mellow that out a bit?

Thanks in advance!

__________________
wyoast is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
Inner10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 512
Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoast View Post
I followed Yooper's welch's juice concentrate recipe with some grape/raspberry concentrate on a 1 gallon batch.. I only added 1 tsp of pectic enzyme instead of the 2 that the recipe called for because she said that the wine ended up a little too tart for some people's taste and thet it may be able to skip it all together. I racked the wine over today and added some bentonite to help it clear on out in the next couple of weeks. the sample I took and tasted was good...dry, and the flavor was there but seemed pretty tart. Is there something I can do/add that will mellow that out a bit?

Thanks in advance!
Enzyme isn't going to make it too tart...sure you aren't thinking of acid blend?

Maybe it's too acidic, you could chalk it to bring up, or cool it to try and drop the tartic acid...or back sweeten.
__________________

Drank too much?...Is that a thing?

Inner10 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
wyoast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Center, Tx
Posts: 238
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
Enzyme isn't going to make it too tart...sure you aren't thinking of acid blend?

Maybe it's too acidic, you could chalk it to bring up, or cool it to try and drop the tartic acid...or back sweeten.
Yes...sorry I did mean the acid blend.. What do you mean by "chalk it" ? and do you mean like a cold crash for a few days? will that drop the acid out?
__________________
wyoast is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
jay_mack1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jay_mack1's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 85
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default

Cold crashing will drop out the acid... the Potassium bitartrate.. (Cream of Tarter). Rack it and chill it for a few weeks, not days. Use can use Potassium sorbate to "stabilize" the wine and back sweeten it.

__________________
My First Brew: American Style Light
Primary #1: Empty - to be started soon!
Primary #2: Empty - To be started soon!


Secondary: Wild Ape Grape
Secondary: Strawberry Wine
Secondary: Strawberry Chocolate Port Style
Secondary: Pear Wine

Bottled: Dry Irish Stout


Planning: Rye Beer!!
Getting Ready to Jump into All-Grain Brewing
Snoop Dogge Jay Dogge Brewery
Drink Up Ya Bastards!
jay_mack1 is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
wyoast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Center, Tx
Posts: 238
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_mack1 View Post
Cold crashing will drop out the acid... the Potassium bitartrate.. (Cream of Tarter). Rack it and chill it for a few weeks, not days. Use can use Potassium sorbate to "stabilize" the wine and back sweeten it.
OK thanks!!
__________________
wyoast is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #6
Inner10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 512
Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoast View Post

Yes...sorry I did mean the acid blend.. What do you mean by "chalk it" ? and do you mean like a cold crash for a few days? will that drop the acid out?
Calcium or potassium carbonate can be added to increase ph. Cc is percipitated chalk.

If your wine is young let it age, the tannins and acid will mellow a bit.
__________________

Drank too much?...Is that a thing?

Inner10 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fixes for low OG JBZSTL Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 07-03-2010 03:11 AM
Yeast mix up, any fixes? Stratotankard Recipes/Ingredients 5 06-24-2009 07:40 PM
Computer fixes Yuri_Rage General Chit Chat 13 05-11-2007 12:21 AM
Welches grape juice - Real tart taste - Any fixes? britishbloke Wine Making Forum 4 04-11-2007 02:03 AM
Low gravity fixes Reckoning General Techniques 10 12-14-2006 12:02 AM