New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Question for Saramac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 11:57 PM   #11
saramc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Love the photo. If you have an extra small primary you may want to use it. You may want more than one inch head space in that seven gallon. I would hate to see chocolate lava volcano and wine loss. Yeah, the wax is what creates the lovely vanilla foam layer with each successive racking, but the chocolate sludge is no biggie to deal with when racking-- just lees. But be sure to stir your primaries twice a day until you transfer to carboys otherwise the chocolate just settles out.

Looking good. Will smell amazing!!

Motto: quel che sara sara

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #12
oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 37 Posts

Here's what it looks like today. Really good fermentation going. I have stirred it at least four times today. Last stirring was about two hrs ago. Notice the volcano hole in the five gallon bucket. Talk about a cap, when you poke a big hole in it with wood spoon it makes a big hissss. This is six gallon total but looks like nine. Smells good. Mike

Old 01-02-2013, 10:59 PM   #13
saramc
Recipes 

Oh you are going to have fun. When I finally transferred I literally scooped the foam into a bucket and chilled it, to collect residual liquid and left the foam behind.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:15 PM   #14
Recipes 

Excellent. That was going to be my next ?. I figured on doing that very thing. Also thought about maybe running thru a clean sanitized towel after scooping the foam off. Mike

Old 01-04-2013, 01:18 AM   #15
Recipes 

Just wanted to share these. It is what I would call explosive! I have it in warm water bath to bump the temp a little. They have over spilled twice already. I just have to punch it down about every two hrs or it will go over again. Mike

Old 01-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #16
saramc
Recipes 

Looking good...and normal!

Old 03-24-2013, 01:26 AM   #17
Pomylka22
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer View Post
Thanks for the help. Here is what I came up with.
52 boxes of 8.3 CCC
1 lb of left over homemade fudge and pecan turtles
3 kudsen just juice black cherry juice qt size
5 c tabs
1/2 tsp tannin
6 tsp acid blend
6 tsp nutrient
6 tsp energizer 4tsp pectin enzyme
1116 yeast
One gallon welch's 100 percent white grape

Boiled some water and dissolved home made candy to strain pecans out. Boiled more water to dissolve the Cherry candy. Poured of chocolate and left cherries in the pan. Crushed the cherries and added to the mix. Top with water to five gallon mark. Stir like crazy and got a sample. Sample read 1135. A little more than I wanted so I added two welchs 100 percent white grape and stirred like crazy. Fetched up another sample and it read 1115. I figured that should work out okay. I will fill a five gallon and a one gallon with it. I will use the one gallon for topping up. Probably will pitch yeast this afternoon sometime.Thanks Mike
Mike,

How is your chocolate covered cherry recipe coming along? I bought a lot of boxes post Christmas for a quarter a box and have yet to pull the trigger on making a batch. Any suggestions or things you would change on a future batch?

Old 03-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #18
Recipes 

Good question. Since my last racking over two months ago I haven't touched it. It was still bubbling away then and I have lost almost all of the foam cap. I suppose it is about ready for a racking when I get to it. As far as changes go I can't say as I have not sampled any or do I even have a clue as to how it will taste. I probably would stick to the original until I get an idea of what I have. Mike

Old 04-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #19
Recipes 

Okay here are a couple pics. The middle is pretty clear nice red color. Have about an inch of solids on bottom and just a thin ring of waxy film on top. Going to try and rack in the next few days,

Old 04-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #20
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3446

Oh my god. How did I miss this? WOW!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply