Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Question for Saramac

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Question for Saramac

Sara on the chocolate covered cherry recipe it calls for 8 one lb boxes per gallon. I was wondering if that is a true pound. All I seem to find are the Queen Anne brand that contains two layers with ten pieces. They weigh 8.6 oz. Any how they are on sale for 64 cents each and I bought 40 thinking that would do a five gallon run. I didn't notice the one lb call till I re read. Hoping I don't need 40 more I don't think they had but about 15 left. Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 12:08 AM   #2
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer View Post
Sara on the chocolate covered cherry recipe it calls for 8 one lb boxes per gallon. I was wondering if that is a true pound. All I seem to find are the Queen Anne brand that contains two layers with ten pieces. They weigh 8.6 oz. Any how they are on sale for 64 cents each and I bought 40 thinking that would do a five gallon run. I didn't notice the one lb call till I re read. Hoping I don't need 40 more I don't think they had but about 15 left. Mike
You ideally want 16oz per pound. I looked at what I used last year and had right at six pounds per gallon and the wine is incredible. I did buy eight pounds for the batch this year. You could find some frozen dark sweet cherries and augment or a few quarts dark cherry juice, or a blend of dark cherry/tart cherry.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 12-31-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
Recipes 

What brand did you find that came in one lb boxes? Mike

Old 12-31-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
saramc
Recipes 

I think they were Queen Anne's, whatever brand has the chocolate covered blueberry cordials. I seem to recall I bought three different sizes last year, since I had to buy what was available. This year I grabbed 13.8 ounce boxes pre-holiday at post-holiday price of 75 cents since the boxes were damaged when a shelf collapsed. Was cosmetic damage to the box, but a loss to the store, so I made an offer.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
Recipes 

Thanks I have 52 boxes now for a total of a little over 26 lbs. Any idea what kind of gravity this would be if mixed in with enough water for a five gallon run. Also wondering about maybe using part white grape juice instead of all water. Like maybe a 50/50 mix. I have bought all the candy they have in our town so if it is not enough I could use some ideas on how to improvise the recipe to make up the difference. I have three qts of black cherry just juice RW Knudsen juice I could use. Mike

Old 01-01-2013, 12:29 AM   #6
saramc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer View Post
Thanks I have 52 boxes now for a total of a little over 26 lbs. Any idea what kind of gravity this would be if mixed in with enough water for a five gallon run. Also wondering about maybe using part white grape juice instead of all water. Like maybe a 50/50 mix. I have bought all the candy they have in our town so if it is not enough I could use some ideas on how to improvise the recipe to make up the difference. I have three qts of black cherry just juice RW Knudsen juice I could use. Mike
My OG was 1.126 after twenty four hours. So that would give you an idea of what to shoot for. I know people have made this using as few as five pounds per gallon and been quite happy with it.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
saramc
Recipes 

Mike....here is an early photo of the CCCC-choc covered cherry cordial wine. I was just getting ready to top it up. I actually had enough for topping up, per gallon, stashed in a 750ml bottle. The foamy layer seemed to always be showing up, so it was always interesting as you racked, trying to get below the foam and stay above the lees. The foam was quite tasty, probably residual of the fondant filling.

forumrunner_20130101_091922.png

Old 01-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
Recipes 

Thanks for the help. Here is what I came up with.
52 boxes of 8.3 CCC
1 lb of left over homemade fudge and pecan turtles
3 kudsen just juice black cherry juice qt size
5 c tabs
1/2 tsp tannin
6 tsp acid blend
6 tsp nutrient
6 tsp energizer 4tsp pectin enzyme
1116 yeast
One gallon welch's 100 percent white grape

Boiled some water and dissolved home made candy to strain pecans out. Boiled more water to dissolve the Cherry candy. Poured of chocolate and left cherries in the pan. Crushed the cherries and added to the mix. Top with water to five gallon mark. Stir like crazy and got a sample. Sample read 1135. A little more than I wanted so I added two welchs 100 percent white grape and stirred like crazy. Fetched up another sample and it read 1115. I figured that should work out okay. I will fill a five gallon and a one gallon with it. I will use the one gallon for topping up. Probably will pitch yeast this afternoon sometime.Thanks Mike

Old 01-01-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
saramc
Recipes 

Sounds great. FWIW, I threw the cherries in a nylon stocking and that way they were easily removed between day 5-10. I just watched for them to get that spent appearance. Be prepared to pitch a second packet of yeast. I had no issues, but I did make a rolling starter. Enjoy!

Old 01-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #10
Recipes 

I ended up using two buckets for the primary. The seven gallon only had an inch or so of head space. I put a pack of the 1116 in each one. It is suppose to be a good choice for high sugar and poor ferment conditions. Also good for an aged red it say's. So I hope it just kicks off and bubbles merrily to completion. I know it is going t be a mess with racking and such. The wax in the candy plus the extra stickiness seems to be a pita already. I sure was glad when we got all the candy opened. Mike

Quick Reply