Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > A question on fermentable sugar levels?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 07:13 AM   #1
beefbandit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default A question on fermentable sugar levels?

Hey all
I am trying a batch of apple blackcurrent wine from store brought juice, have made sure it has no artifisual anythings, an am using red wine yeast with nutrients. The juice label says 25.5% sugar, would i assume they are fermentable sugars? also did a beer hydrometer test which only goes to 1040 it went past that, to what looked like around 1060 ish. would this be around what 25.5% sugar would put it at?

Am going for around 12 to 15% APV,
If i need to add sugar would beer dextros work the same as it does in beer?

Thanks for any help

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
Peppers16
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Yep, I assume they're fermentable unless its a low calorie diet drink or something. dextrose is good. Since you don't have a useful hydrometer at hand I suggest you use a calculator like the one on GotMead to calculate how much dextrose you need for an extra 60 gravity points or so.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:57 PM   #3
beefbandit
Recipes 

Awsome, yip not diet or anything its sposed to be real juice no additives etc, on the box of dextros it has written 1kg= 5% for a 23L brew so ill work from that. On brew calculator it says 1060 (which im assuming the juice is) will ferment to be around 8.9% so i really only need 1kg of dextrose for a 23L brew to make 13.9%?????
hope my math is correct.

Oh and is dextros better for wine than sugar, i could use normal sugar if its better?

cheers for the help. MK

Old 11-04-2012, 12:52 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4273 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Instead of guessing percentages, just make a batch and get the OG where you want it. All simple sugars are fermentable, so just don't use juice with splenda or chemicals like that.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:51 AM   #5
beefbandit
Recipes 

Thanks yooper, is there a culculator out there that would give you an OG from a percentage of sugar in the fluid?

Quick Reply