Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Question about Isinglass

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2009, 03:21 PM   #1
RyanK2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Question about Isinglass

I racked my wild grape wine off the lees last week and added a pack of isinglass. I have never used it before but the guy at my LHBS told me it works well so I got it. Now there is gelatin floating around the neck of my carboy. Will this stuff sink so that I can rack it off or what? I added another pack of it to my peach wine last night. It had some small particulates of peach floating around in there. I'm hoping this stuff with settle out in the next couple of weeks.

Also, can i bottle right off the isinglass sediment, or should I rack it once more and wait a couple of weeks and then bottle?

Bottled: Weihenstephan Hefe Clone, Kärcher Bock, Kölsch, Oktober Wheat, Simcoe Slam IPA, Apfelwein, Red Trappist Dubbel, Dunkleweizen, Simcoe Slam IIPA, Hoppy Hefe, Come All Ye Faithful Christmas Ale, Gingerbread Ale, Wits End Kristal Wit, Kärcher Haus Pale, Nocturia Black IPA......too many.

http://walledlakebrewing.blogspot.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
pdbreen
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds like he didn't tell you to stir the crap out of the wine after adding - about 2 to 5 minutes worth. This will both distribute the isinglass and help remove C02 from suspension.

On Deck: Centennial IPA, Dry Irish Stout
P: Cascade Pale Ale
S: (nothing!)
K: (nothing!)
T: Carbed Crystal Light, Root Beer, Vanilla Cream Soda, Tripel IPA, Apfelwein

e^(pi*i) + 1 = 0

Old 10-26-2009, 04:38 PM   #3
RyanK2
Recipes 

Oh, I did. I stirred it for about 5 minutes until it was quite bubbly. There is just a few chunks of gelatin at the top and I was just unsure about how this stuff works. So if you're assuming it was co2 keeping it afloat, and I know I stirred the F out of it, then I will expect it to settle out.. Thanks!

Bottled: Weihenstephan Hefe Clone, Kärcher Bock, Kölsch, Oktober Wheat, Simcoe Slam IPA, Apfelwein, Red Trappist Dubbel, Dunkleweizen, Simcoe Slam IIPA, Hoppy Hefe, Come All Ye Faithful Christmas Ale, Gingerbread Ale, Wits End Kristal Wit, Kärcher Haus Pale, Nocturia Black IPA......too many.

http://walledlakebrewing.blogspot.com

Old 10-26-2009, 05:41 PM   #4
pdbreen
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Did you use powder or liquid? I've only used the liquid and have never seen it after adding. Then again, I've only made reds and whites and not peach wine. If it's still there in a day or two, might be worth giving another quick stir - only drawback I can think of is that you'd have to restart the clock for letting things settle out.

On Deck: Centennial IPA, Dry Irish Stout
P: Cascade Pale Ale
S: (nothing!)
K: (nothing!)
T: Carbed Crystal Light, Root Beer, Vanilla Cream Soda, Tripel IPA, Apfelwein

e^(pi*i) + 1 = 0

Quick Reply