Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Putting lipstick on a pig: An experiment in making Welch's grape juice wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 04:27 AM   #21
mikemet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

bump / Yoopers been called out - / where are ya bro... wheres the input... im curious although I never made a batch of wine...(unless EdWorts Apfelwein is "wine")

Primary 1 > Funky Dunky w/ Lemon test
Primary 2 > Apfelwein
Primary 3 > Experimental Pale Ale

Bottled > Bellys Belgium-E, Brown Eye PA-E, Pale Ale-E, Guinness -biab, Apfelwein, Funky Dunky Blonde-biab

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #22
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagec
Both wines are in secondary on oak cubes now. The tastes that I took on transferring weren't promising...I think I may have made a mistake by adding acid blend based on TA, rather than by taste. Both batches are entirely too tart at this point. Hopefully they'll mellow out over the next few weeks.
Relax. Your wines are VERY young. Give it until Christmas.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #23
springmom
Texan, by golly. Grandma by the grace of God.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda88
you will not get a full bodied wine starting with concentrates, there is too much sugar added for the wine to be full bodied. california uses pure grape juice to make wine with very little or no sugar added. when working with concentrates, you get what you get, you can add tannin to the must but thats about it.
What about preservative free grape juice, then? Still way cheaper than the California grape juice kits in the wine store...?

Considering: Sparkling raspberry wine, carrot wine

In Primary: Ed's Apfelwein; Raspberry Puree Apple Cider

In Secondary: Pumpkin Pie Mead; Traditional Mead; Dried Elderberry Wine; Blueberry Wine; Texas Persimmon wine; White grape/peach wine; Texas Twang; Hi, Biscus! Metheglyn; A Maize-ing Wine

So far, so good.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:23 PM   #24
jagec
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalou View Post
Relax. Your wines are VERY young. Give it until Christmas.
Yeah, I'm hoping that they will mellow out, but it's possible with this wine that the young, "rough" flavors would have compensated for the fundamental lack of body.

I'll be tasting every few weeks to see how things are progressing.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #25
dr_al
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

i have made 2 gallons, one i drank young the other is still bulk aging, the sample is already much much nicer after sitting for a few more months. I want to sweeten it with a juice concentrate when i get ready to bottle which should be soon, that will add a little something, just not sure what flavor to use yet, i'm tempted to try cranberry but its already pretty tart, cranapple maybe or white grape? I like it dry but my wife wont drink it like that and we made this batch together as her first attempt at joining in on my hobby.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:58 AM   #26
Honda88
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 53

yooper is not a bro FYI

Old 10-04-2012, 11:25 PM   #27
ejr
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

my 2 cents 'ive did this it didnt turn out bad ,i backsweeten my wine which had a flavor i didnt like with tropical punch koolaide that already had its own sugar made it drinkable of course it was rocket fuel but it made it better; Just sweeten to taste and as the book says dont worry you only doing a gallon I did ten

Old 10-05-2012, 12:59 AM   #28
Unferth
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejr View Post
my 2 cents 'ive did this it didnt turn out bad ,i backsweeten my wine which had a flavor i didnt like with tropical punch koolaide that already had its own sugar made it drinkable of course it was rocket fuel but it made it better; Just sweeten to taste and as the book says dont worry you only doing a gallon I did ten
Wait, so you've made a double batch of welches concentrate wine supplemented with raisins, banana, and Hungarian oak chips which you then split fermented in two separate batches using Montrachet and red Pasteur, then blended them? And it turned out bad?

Or, you did a 10 gal batch of welches concentrate and it turned out poorly?

Sorry for clarification request, but it just seems like an awful specific recipe...

Old 10-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #29
bellmtbbq
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I was really thinking about doing this even before I saw this thread! I was thinking pressing a couple of blackberries for juice, oak chips, etc, etc

Old 10-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #30
springmom
Texan, by golly. Grandma by the grace of God.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Welches has a white grape-peach blend concentrate (also has pear juice if I recall) that I saw in the store the other day. I picked up 3 12oz cans, one of which will get made up into plain juice so I can make sure I like it :-). But it sounds promising.

Considering: Sparkling raspberry wine, carrot wine

In Primary: Ed's Apfelwein; Raspberry Puree Apple Cider

In Secondary: Pumpkin Pie Mead; Traditional Mead; Dried Elderberry Wine; Blueberry Wine; Texas Persimmon wine; White grape/peach wine; Texas Twang; Hi, Biscus! Metheglyn; A Maize-ing Wine

So far, so good.

Quick Reply