Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Putting lipstick on a pig: An experiment in making Welch's grape juice wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #11
johns
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unferth View Post
Oh the musty goodness Johnny walker... Wait, are you suggesting we pee in our wine?

Black Label use to be a beer for a buck and a half for a 6pack. Yea, thats right.....It really use to cost 1.5 dollars for 6 beers. I have heard of people pissing out Johnny Walker, but never pissing in Johnny Walker.

Look what I found:

http://heymabelblacklabel.com/id23.htm

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #12
Jacob_Marley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns View Post
Black Label use to be a beer for a buck and a half for a 6pack. Yea, thats right.....It really use to cost 1.5 dollars for 6 beers.
Black Label, er ... "Carling's" was my #1 cheap beer for a long time.
There was a Black Label commercial in which Redd Foxx was a waiter on water skis and would ski up to the waterside table to serve the beer with the Black Label jingle being whistled in the background. Cool old commercial.

btw the cheapest beer I can recall was Schoenling's Big Jug - 64oz for 99cents ... followed by Falstaff at $6 bucks and change for a case. Schoenling were the folks who made Little Kings.

Buckhorn, Top Hat, and Farmer Jack's "No-Brand" (which had a label that consisted of the red circle with a line through it on a white background) were all really inexpensive too ... but I think Big Jug takes the cake.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:11 AM   #13
Honda88
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 54

you will not get a full bodied wine starting with concentrates, there is too much sugar added for the wine to be full bodied. california uses pure grape juice to make wine with very little or no sugar added. when working with concentrates, you get what you get, you can add tannin to the must but thats about it.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:49 AM   #14
jagec
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Started the wines yesterday.

Each had 8 oz of soaked and chopped raisins, half a cup of STRONG Earl Grey tea, 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient and 1 tsp pectic enzyme.

First wine had 3 cans of concentrate, second had 2 cans plus .5 lb of sugar. OGs were 1.086 and 1.080 respectively.

I took samples, sealed them up, and let the pectic enzyme work overnight.

Today I measured the samples...pH of 3.44 and TA of .67% for the first, pH of 3.51 and TA of .37% for the second. I added a teaspoon of acid blend to the first and 4 tsp to the second to get them both to .77%, then pitched 1/2 packet of Pasteur red on the first and 1/2 packet of Montrachet on the second, covered each with a napkin, and put them in the basement.

Total cost:
$12.50 concentrate
$4 raisins
$1 yeast (assuming that I use the other 1/2 packet of each before it goes bad)
$2 Medium toast Hungarian oak cubes (will add to secondary)
$0.50 1 tea bag, 1 banana, yeast nutrient and pectic enzyme
=$20 for 2 gallons, or $2 a bottle.

Here they are. Wish me luck!

Old 09-19-2012, 06:27 AM   #15
Unferth
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 17

That sounds like a cool experiment. I'm not familiar with Pasteur red, though, what kind of profile do you expect?

Are you planning on blending it with the very dry Montrachet I assume?

Old 09-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #16
jagec
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unferth View Post
That sounds like a cool experiment. I'm not familiar with Pasteur red, though, what kind of profile do you expect?

Are you planning on blending it with the very dry Montrachet I assume?
Honestly I'm not really sure what to expect. The phrasing that the manufacturer uses for both strains I find very vague, and after all, these aren't "high quality wine grapes". Pasteur Red does claim that it can "bring character to the lightest wines", which would be good if true. Montrachet is supposed to be more neutral.

I am planning on blending them. They should both ferment out pretty dry, and then I'll backsweeten just a touch to balance the acidity, and add glycerine for a bit more body.

Both wines were fizzing along nicely this morning.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #17
htc
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Sub'd! Keep me posted! I've become somewhat of a beer snob, but I likes me some cheap wine (except for the stuff Price Chopper discounted to like $2 a couple years ago).

Old 09-19-2012, 11:52 PM   #18
Unferth
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Ditto. I'm going to start playing with blending just as soon as I get me some smaller carboys. It seems like a cheap way to really fill out wines.

My aforementioned friend said it wouldn't be much use in blending the yeast within the same batch in most cases, as the stronger of the yeasts will take over. I think what you have going might yield some neat variations from the original recipe. I'd kiss this pig for sure

Old 10-02-2012, 04:16 AM   #19
jagec
Recipes 

Both wines are in secondary on oak cubes now. The tastes that I took on transferring weren't promising...I think I may have made a mistake by adding acid blend based on TA, rather than by taste. Both batches are entirely too tart at this point. Hopefully they'll mellow out over the next few weeks.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:46 AM   #20
Atek
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 83

You could try a malolactic culture to reduce the malic acid. Might help.

"Gaurd your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and out live the bastards."

Quick Reply