Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Is pulping or juicing better?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2006, 10:34 PM   #11
Caplan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissed as a pewt
Hers has fizzed through the airlocks though is this a problem? She has emptied it and refilled it with clean water.
No problem as lorenae said, clean up, sanitize and refill it.
For next time however I'd recommend getting a bigger primary fermenter. No clean up worries!
Plastic ones from your local HBS work great for wine in primary and cost little. Just remember to sanitize them really well as any scuffs can harbour nasties - also don't expect them to last you a lifetime, buy new ones once in a while and recycle the old ones.
I wouldn't recommend plastic for secondary (and beyond) - always use glass.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2006, 12:26 PM   #12
nissed as a pewt
Recipes 

So when I do my fruits at the weekend.....

...if I cant get another lb from the market/supermarket should I top up with elderberrys or use a 250ml can of grape concentrate? Im keen to do an 'all from fruit' wine but happy to comprimise if the end product will benefit greatly? I should imagine the tannins in the elderberrys will benefit the blackberrys? Or have the blackberrys got tanins of their own?

Primary: Blackberry
Primary: Apple and raisin

Secondary: Beaverdale chablis
Secondary: Youngs blackcherry
Secondary: Sauvignon blanc (at girlfriends)

Elderberries waiting in freezer

Old 09-25-2006, 01:15 PM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4448 Times on 3239 Posts
Likes Given: 865

If you use 100% blackberries, they have enough tannin on their own to make a pretty darn good wine. I've never used elderberries, so I have no idea what they taste like. If you like the taste of them, though, you could use them. A small amount might really be good in the wine. Of course, you could also use the grape concentrate!

Sorry I don't seem to be much help here! But wine is very forgiving, and truly you can't screw it up. If the elderberries have a taste you like, go ahead and use them, especially if it's a small amount. A larger amount would have lots of tannin and probably be too much, unless you were going to age it for a couple of years. I've made blackberry wine with 100% blackberries, and it's awesome. But if I didn't have enough blackberries, I would not hesitate to use some grape juice to make it up. (Remember, though, if you use grape juice to use the 100% grape juice and make sure there are no preservatives in there.) Whatever you do, you'll get a homemade wine that will taste good, maybe great. Just take really good notes on what you've done, so that you can use this as a learning experience!

Lorena

Old 09-25-2006, 01:26 PM   #14
nissed as a pewt
Recipes 

Thanx again! I have no idea what elderberries tase like I just know people make wine out of them and seeing them this year made me want to make wine.

I know blackberry and elderberry are a classic combination though.

Im happy to mature the wine, probably opening a bottle of next year to see if i like it enough to bother picking them again! LOL

Primary: Blackberry
Primary: Apple and raisin

Secondary: Beaverdale chablis
Secondary: Youngs blackcherry
Secondary: Sauvignon blanc (at girlfriends)

Elderberries waiting in freezer

Quick Reply