The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Pulling bottles from your neighbor's recycle bin - thrifty or across the line?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 02:05 AM   #71
dbsmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by strantor View Post
Local laws almost all state that it's illegal to take from recycling bins but not trash cans. I see this as a violation of precedent, and worse, a conflict of interest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_v._Greenwood

I seems that the government acknowledges that trash left at the curb for collection is fair game for government seizure without warrant, which implies (to me, anyway) it doesn't belong to anybody. If that applies to the owner of the domicile then it must apply equally to the recycling company (government).

They can't have their cake and eat it too. They can't say it's OK for them to rifle through your (er.. I mean, nobody's) things at the curb and take whatever they want, but you can't rifle through their (oh yeah, nobody's) things at the curb and take whatever you want. That's unconstitutional. I've never taken business law 101. Do you think I have a case here?
The reason they can have their cake and eat it too, I imagine, is because the stuff in the garbage or the recycling is not the 'person being investigated's' anymore, it belongs to the county, and the county has no problem allowing the authorities to go through the garbage. It isn't 'nobody's'.

Edit: After reading the wiki article, it looks like it was legal for the police because he had 'no expectation of privacy', because it was 'accessible' to others. It doesn't say that there is no ownership. The police officer asked the garbage collector for the bag, who was the expected recipient of said garbage, and the collector complied.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 03:22 AM   #72
woknblues
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeg View Post
Probably a small fraction would be my guess. Certainly if I did, I wouldn't be bragging about it on a public forum: illegal may not mean immoral, but it certainly doesn't make it wise to advertise your activity.

So what's your point? Some people break laws, therefore don't bother worrying about whether an action is moral? That's what you're arguing, and it is nonsense.

Great! Not everyone agrees.

Not a small fraction at all, I am sure. Even if it was a small fraction I don't feel that makes any difference in terms of legality, which is why I made the point that illegality is a poor stance on this issue. Illegality is black and white. You can't be "sortof pregnant" Also, nobody is bragging about anything.

The point is that because the action is "illegal", yet not enforced, and arguably not immoral, we can only fall back on morality since he isn't going to jail, right? To which I believe the OP has done diligence in determining what is more harmful to the guy with the bottles. His intent is to take what is discarded without doing harm to the person disposing of the trash.

>Great! Not everyone agrees.

evidently
Old 02-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #73
Vigo_Carpathian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 8

What if your neighbor has herpes? Just saying

Old 02-18-2013, 08:59 PM   #74
benbradford
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

At 3 bottles a day the op now has 60 more bottles than the original 50... 110 bottles is a lot...

I thought i drank a lot, but 3 bottles of wine a day is pretty huge. He doesn't have a roommate or wife or something? Me and my wife could pretty easy go through 10-15 bottles a week.

Here in Denver, there a tons of junkers(I mean recycling fairies) moving through alleys collecting things. I find it amusing how fast something dissapears from my back alley after i leave it out. I will be testing a stainless steel sink later today!

I think it's too bad that everybody's decided to turn on drugs, I don't think drugs are the problem. Crime is the problem. Cops are the problem. Money's the problem. But drugs are just drugs.
Jerry Garcia

Old 02-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #75
fc36
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckabrewski View Post
I'm sure he remembers placing the bottles in the bin. Eventually he's going to wonder why every time he puts out his recycling bin there are no bottles.

Honestly man just share a 6er with him and save yourself the trouble of snatching from his bin at night.
Are you so sure? He's an alcoholic and probably bombed when he throws away his bottles. I doubt he's aware that his bottles are being taken by anyone other than the garbage man.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #76
stinkmuis
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 78

well you are a brewer, he is an alcoholic.. It seems that it is very easy to work out a gentleman's agreement together :-)

Old 02-18-2013, 09:25 PM   #77
fc36
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkmuis View Post
well you are a brewer, he is an alcoholic.. It seems that it is very easy to work out a gentleman's agreement together :-)
Truth in all its simplicity. He has what you want and you have what he needs.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:20 PM   #78
Accidic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Bigger issue for me isn't the snaking his bottles but it surprises me he doesn't know you brew. I mean if he's got that many empties he seems like a fan of beer in general. Is he annoying or something?

Also if you talked to him he'd probably have saved them for you.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:34 AM   #79
Zuljin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3304 Times on 3052 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesfan View Post
Alcoholic or not, I think would ask him. Sooner or later he's going to catch you and then you're going to find yourself in that awkward moment you're trying to avoid. What are you going to do then?
Pretend to be a raccoon.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:58 AM   #80
sawbossFogg
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin

Pretend to be a raccoon.
That's bad advice, like me he may like to shoot raccoons as a jovial pastime, especially while drinking.

Quick Reply