Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Pulling bottles from your neighbor's recycle bin - thrifty or across the line?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 03:26 PM   #21
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 366 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 21

[QUOTE=Yesfan;4848164]I don't think that's how that works, but I'm also not 100% sure on that. There was a guy that got fired at my job last year for stealing copper out of the recycle bins. This guy was going out to the recycle barrels each day after work and taking a few plated copper pieces each day. Technically it was "thrown away" but it was still considered company property and the guy lost his job over it.
QUOTE]

The police do not need a warrant to search garbage, just as the paparazi can search through trash without repercussion.

Its more of a moral thing than legal though.

I personally dont see a problem with it, but really the only opinion to worry about is your neighbors, and angry neighbors are no fun.

Also 2 dozen bottles of wine a week, DAMN. That is impressive and sad...especially because of the schwill he must be drinking.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 03:34 PM   #22
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 371 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 258

Why in the world would the neighbor be angry at you for taking his trash?

Good grief people, it is going to be recycled. It is on the curb for pickup. Do any of you care who picks up your trash once it hits the curb? I know I don't.

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keez...y-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:48 PM   #23
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I

Quote:
don't think that's how that works, but I'm also not 100% sure on that. There was a guy that got fired at my job last year for stealing copper out of the recycle bins. This guy was going out to the recycle barrels each day after work and taking a few plated copper pieces each day. Technically it was "thrown away" but it was still considered company property and the guy lost his job over it.
That is a completely different situation.

Your company most likely has a policy prohibiting people taking trash out of the bins so there is no possibility of someone throwing something out that still has value and taking it from the trash for their own gain. It is a very common type of policy used to stop people from throwing out a "broken" tool or a perfectly good spool of copper wire and later taking it from the trash to take it home to "fix" or sell.

Neighbor puts his stuff on the curb for pick up? No such policy.

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

Quote:

Old 01-31-2013, 03:53 PM   #24
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 425 Times on 346 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGVT View Post
Why in the world would the neighbor be angry at you for taking his trash?
Well I have an idea why someone could be angry.

I pay some amount every month (roughly ~$70) for trash hauling and recycling for my building. However, without the bottles & cans in the recycling, that could cost me even more because some of the money the trash company earns is through recovered deposits on those bottles & cans. Here in CA, the redemption value on a 12oz bottle or can is 5 cents, and on larger bottles (e.g. a 750ml bottle) the value goes up to 10 cents. In other words, people taking bottles & cans from my recycling indirectly raises my trash bill every month.

Now if it's JUST my recycling bin being pored over every week, that probably doesn't do much to impact my bill. But suppose every week some enterprising individual decides to go down the street and collect every single bottle & can from every bin on the street. Suddenly, we're talking about a lot of money going into that individual's pocket, and coming out of my neighborhood's collective pockets. I mean, potentially hundreds of dollars every week. My neighborhood is essentially paying that guy's rent every month. Do I want to pay for some guy's rent that pulls crap out of my trash and makes a mess in my driveway every week? Probably not.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:03 PM   #25
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Really?

So you really think that there are enough people throwing away nickles and dimes rather than cashing them in themselves that is somebody picked them out of the recycle bin it would impact the trash company's bottom line? I highly doubt it.

And if you can afford to recycle your nickel and dime bottles rather than cash them in, a minor increase in your trash bill shouldn't be an issue...

Ha!

If a guy needs to go through my trash to pay his bills, he is welcome to it.

Quote:
People Like This 
Old 01-31-2013, 05:14 PM   #26
weirdboy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGVT View Post
Really?

So you really think that there are enough people throwing away nickles and dimes rather than cashing them in themselves that is somebody picked them out of the recycle bin it would impact the trash company's bottom line? I highly doubt it.

Yes there are certainly enough people doing that. Maybe not just my neighborhood, but if you consider the whole city...definitely a large swing in income.

Quote:
And if you can afford to recycle your nickel and dime bottles rather than cash them in, a minor increase in your trash bill shouldn't be an issue...
If I put them in the recycle bin, it is with the understanding that I am still indirectly reaping the profits by having someone else recycle them for me. I am literally paying someone else to haul my bottles somewhere to redeem them for me. I don't get all 5 cents back, but maybe I get 2 cents instead, in the form of a cheaper trash bill than I would have otherwise.

Quote:
If a guy needs to go through my trash to pay his bills, he is welcome to it.
I have had issues with people digging through my trash and then finding trash strewn all over my driveway. Maybe you don't have that problem, but I am not keen on cleaning up my own property every week because someone was stealing from me, regardless of that item's value.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:17 PM   #27
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Life is too short...

That is all.

Quote:
People Like This 
Old 01-31-2013, 05:35 PM   #28
weirdboy
Recipes 

*sigh* ye olde "why worry about X, when you could worry about this more important Y" argument. Which isn't an argument at all considering the context...you were more than happy to argue about it until I made some salient point to which you didn't have a quick rebuttal.

Yes, life is too short for me to spend it picking up other people's messes. Thankfully, that issue has cleared up somewhat because I moved the recycling bin to a different location that is not so easy to access. But I still get trash blowing into my driveway & yard from my neighbors after their bins are ransacked.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:37 PM   #29
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Interesting article on this issue as it happens in Los Angeles

http://northhollywood.patch.com/blog...-lost-treasure

In your city I see your point, Weirdboy.

Most places in the country? Not so much.

Quote:

Old 01-31-2013, 05:39 PM   #30
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
*sigh* ye olde "why worry about X, when you could worry about this more important Y" argument. Which isn't an argument at all considering the context...you were more than happy to argue about it until I made some salient point to which you didn't have a quick rebuttal.

Yes, life is too short for me to spend it picking up other people's messes. Thankfully, that issue has cleared up somewhat because I moved the recycling bin to a different location that is not so easy to access. But I still get trash blowing into my driveway & yard from my neighbors after their bins are ransacked.
And actually, my point was that life is too short to worry about someone picking through my trash, not to rebut a post in an internet forum. There is always time for that...

Quote:

Quick Reply