Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Process Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #21
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4479 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiNuke View Post
T
Back on topic...My stance on kit instructions applies to more than just beer/wine making, I'll rarely follow instructions that come with anything I buy since I would rather get advice from the pros than a marketer. Instead I look at them as suggestions and a parts list and that's about it. However, by the sound of it wine kit instructions are better than average. I'll have to keep that in mind for the next kit I do. As it is, I am about 2 racks into clarification (30 days apart), I'll let it sit for 45-60 days and rack again if needed. Thanks for the help.
Yes, actually, that's true. Winexpert actually guarantees their kits completely- IF you go by the directions exactly. It seems wrong, after all we know about commercial products and how we tweak them- but I promise that it's true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc View Post

I know that Wine Expert values the experience that their staff brings to the team. Tim Vandergrift is the go to for their kits, and he has been making wine on an individual level for years, and he brings that knowledge to the kit development team at WE. He has been published countless number of times and has a blog. The fact that you read on forums that people have bought x-amount of particular kits from year to year says a lot. I have purchased a handful of kits, different brands, and their instructions have all followed the same model. WE are what I prefer, but kit wines are rare for me. It is the individual's responsibility to do some learning beforehand---and not rely on the kit info to explain it to you. The 'but why' moments are for us to investigate and learn from.
I totally agree with Sara. Tim is a well-known expert on these kits, and he's very approachable about them. You can totally rely on him and the products he supports.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #22
beerman0001
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiNuke View Post
Then why even bother responding to this thread? Just ignore it and move on with your life and let me decide what advice I'll listen to. I'm sure you have better things to do than be passive aggressive and insulting on a normally helpful forum.

Back on topic...My stance on kit instructions applies to more than just beer/wine making, I'll rarely follow instructions that come with anything I buy since I would rather get advice from the pros than a marketer. Instead I look at them as suggestions and a parts list and that's about it. However, by the sound of it wine kit instructions are better than average. I'll have to keep that in mind for the next kit I do. As it is, I am about 2 racks into clarification (30 days apart), I'll let it sit for 45-60 days and rack again if needed. Thanks for the help.
So if you where going to bake a cake from a box would you follow the instructions?
Fermenting:Apfelwein
On Deck:
Hiding in dark corner: Lambic, Flanders red, Oud Bruin, DFH 120(in bottles)

Old 12-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #23
SkiNuke
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerman0001 View Post
So if you where going to bake a cake from a box would you follow the instructions?
Yeah, but that's because I don't care if I learn anything from the experience or get a mediocre cake, I just want the cake. But with things from IKEA where it's easier to just figure it out yourself or with something that I want to understand, I generally don't follow directions to the letter.

Quick Reply