Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Problems with Smell

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
Ausfernan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Problems with Smell

My last few batches of wine have come out smelling quite rancid and tasting almost as bad. I clean out all my stuff so I don't know if it's a bug or what. It's definitely VERY alcoholic but it just isn't really that drinkable. Any other possibilities that could be the cause? I used a Campden tablet before each batch, if that helps.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausfernan
My last few batches of wine have come out smelling quite rancid and tasting almost as bad. I clean out all my stuff so I don't know if it's a bug or what. It's definitely VERY alcoholic but it just isn't really that drinkable. Any other possibilities that could be the cause? I used a Campden tablet before each batch, if that helps.
Can you tell us what you used to clean and sanitize?

Old 03-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
Ausfernan
Recipes 

I sanitize clean everything with antibacterial soap, pretty thoroughly. Should I let it sit for like 15 minutes before taking the soap out or something? Maybe use bleach?

Old 03-29-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4450 Times on 3239 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausfernan View Post
I sanitize clean everything with antibacterial soap, pretty thoroughly. Should I let it sit for like 15 minutes before taking the soap out or something? Maybe use bleach?
Cleaning is one step, and then sanitizing is another.

You can clean with oxiclean or with a commercial cleaner meant for brewing (like PBW). No soap!

For sanitizing, once the item has been cleaned and rinsed, then you can sanitize. Sanitize with a commercial food-safe sanitizer like star-san, Iodophor, or potassium metabisulfite (campden, in a stronger form). I would not use bleach, as it can create bad flavors in the wine.

Once an item is clean and sanitized, it can be used. Anything at all that touches the wine must be sanitized properly before using it. That includes all spoons and things like siphoning equipment.

Campden is useful in the must to kill bacteria before fermentation, but it won't prevent contaminated (unsanitized) items from causing infection, especially later on.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:06 PM   #5
Ausfernan
Recipes 

Ok thank you, I'll try sanitizing and cleaning differently next time.

Quick Reply