Originally Posted by Ausfernan
I sanitize clean everything with antibacterial soap, pretty thoroughly. Should I let it sit for like 15 minutes before taking the soap out or something? Maybe use bleach?
Cleaning is one step, and then sanitizing is another.
You can clean with oxiclean or with a commercial cleaner meant for brewing (like PBW). No soap!
For sanitizing, once the item has been cleaned and rinsed, then you can sanitize. Sanitize with a commercial food-safe sanitizer like star-san, Iodophor, or potassium metabisulfite (campden, in a stronger form). I would not use bleach, as it can create bad flavors in the wine.
Once an item is clean and sanitized, it can be used. Anything at all that touches the wine must be sanitized properly before using it. That includes all spoons and things like siphoning equipment.
Campden is useful in the must to kill bacteria before fermentation, but it won't prevent contaminated (unsanitized) items from causing infection, especially later on.