Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > potassium metabisulfite

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
sdbrew1024
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default potassium metabisulfite

I'm making my first batch of wine (from a kit) and had a question. The instructions that I have say to use potassium metabisulfite as a sanitizing solution. I have been brewing beer for a long time and have quite a bit of StarSan and Iodophor available, I'm wondering why I need to use the potassium metabisulfite when making wine? Will I ruin the wine or change it's final flavor by not using the potassium metabisulfite?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
truckjohn
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

You need something to kill off wild yeasts, molds, and bacteria.... If you don't - you may end up with a nice batch of vinegar or moldy flavored wine....

With beer - you boil it for a while and then carefully transfer the beer into scrupulously sanitary bottles....

With Wine and ciders - most of us don't really like the "Cooked" flavor... It tends to ruin all the wonderful fruity aromas and interesting natural flavors.... Think of the difference between fresh squeezed juice in your kitchen compared to the flavor of jelly....

Sulphite has been used since before the beginning of the Roman empire to do just this - kill off all the wild beasties so that you can add your own special brewing beasties. As a result of using sulphites for a few thousand years - proper wine and brewing yeasts are pretty resistant to sulphites where the wild yeast and bacteria and mold on the fruit just isn't.... The end result is that you have a better chance to end up with the wine you planned on getting....

Thanks

Old 02-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #3
speter
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

The answer is that you don't have to use the sulfite as a sanitizer. Since you homebrew, and you've got other sanitizers, you can use those just as well, especially for the kits. As truckjohn says, the sulfites will kill off wild yeasts on the skins of fruit, if you're making wine directly from the fruit instead of a kit.

Oast House Brewing

Old 02-03-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
sdbrew1024
Recipes 

Makes sense,
one more question, my LHBS only had Sodium Metabisulphite, I assume this will work just as well as the potassium version, as it's the sulphite we're after?

Old 02-04-2011, 12:36 AM   #5
gregbathurst
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yes, works just as well. Some winemakers prefer PMS because they have fruit high in sodium, not normally a problem.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:39 AM   #6
ACbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yes it is the sulphite you are after, not the Potasium or Sodium for the sanatizing.IF they have camphor tablets, those usually are potasium metabisulfate.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:35 AM   #7
rod
beer -just brew it
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACbrewer View Post
Yes it is the sulphite you are after, not the Potasium or Sodium for the sanatizing.IF they have camphor tablets, those usually are potasium metabisulfate.

i think you mean campden tablets

simplified signature:
beer, wine, cheese in various stages of production

Old 02-04-2011, 01:38 AM   #8
ACbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 3

He He.. I'm lucky I can almost type it... spelinj it is oout of the qestion yah campden tablets..

Quick Reply