Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > possible to over pitch with liquid yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2006, 08:20 PM   #1
VermontFreedom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default possible to over pitch with liquid yeast

I have always used dry package yeast thus far, but am a couple of days away from starting my second wild black raspberry port and I have a package of Wyeast's liquid port wine yeast, which is for 5-6 gallons. Because it takes 4-5 hours of picking to get the 7-8 pounds of raspberries, I'm starting with a small 1-gallon batch. Am I going to overpitch if I use the whole packet of liquid port wine yeast?

Conditioning: black raspberry port #1, black raspberry port #2; annual apple wines (2); Concord wine
Bottled and being imbibed: Santa's Magic Potion (seasonal holiday ale); gamay beaujolais #1, standard port, blueberry dessert wine, ice wine
Bottled and Aging: dry mead, sack mead
On deck: gamay beaujolais #2, cherry wine, peach wine; Trappist Dubbel; English strong ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2006, 10:21 PM   #2
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's actually very, very difficult to overpitch. The yeast will actually be multiplying and growing for a few hours at least before it starts the ferment. All that will happen is your ferment will be done sooner rather than later.

You could also think of it as a gallon starter for the rest of your must.

Old 07-18-2006, 03:37 AM   #3
VermontFreedom
Recipes 

Well, I pitched the Wyeast liquid port wine yeast. Proofed it in the package as per directions. Took 48-72 hours to start. Fermentation is moderate to moderately slow--not vigorous at all. Temp is 72-73.

Perhaps I made a mistake in having my berries and 2 C water sit in an airlocked gallon jug with Campden tablet for 2-3 days (not letting the SO2 escape), before pitching the yeast. It's possibly some residual SO2 killed the liquid yeast when I pitched it. Live and learn...

Conditioning: black raspberry port #1, black raspberry port #2; annual apple wines (2); Concord wine
Bottled and being imbibed: Santa's Magic Potion (seasonal holiday ale); gamay beaujolais #1, standard port, blueberry dessert wine, ice wine
Bottled and Aging: dry mead, sack mead
On deck: gamay beaujolais #2, cherry wine, peach wine; Trappist Dubbel; English strong ale

Old 07-18-2006, 01:38 PM   #4
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

I made a big starter for my Hefe, and the result was a gushing monster krausen that blew out the blow tube. Eventually it settled down and had a good fermentation.

Speaking of, I really need to bottle that sucker.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 07-18-2006, 01:44 PM   #5
seanhagerty
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Check out www.mrmalty.com

He speaks of pitching rates and how to get them.

Sean

Studies show that three out of four people make up 75% of the worlds population.

Quick Reply