Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Pomegranate Wine Recipe Recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2011, 05:14 AM   #1
superman1451
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pomegranate Wine Recipe Recommendations

I have a pomegranate tree and therefore a lot of fruit. We usually end up juicing the fruit and making jam out of it.

I was wondering if you guys had a favorite recipe that you've used in the past. There does't seem to be much information on fermenting pomegranates.

Also most of the recipes I've found call for using whole fruit. Is it better to use the juice or take the seeds out and use those?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 02:27 AM   #2
GodsStepBrother
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I made a pomegranate wine last year from my tree that died during the winter. Anyway we got about 40 pomegranates and sat down taking all the seeds out. Once we had them all in a huge bowl we put them in a nylon bag (you can get at any home depot etc…) and squeeze all the juice out into two 1 gallon fermenters. We only got about a gallon of juice so we split the juice in half between both of them added some sugar and topped off with water along with some acid blend, wine tannin and yeast nutrient. Then added a campden tablet to each and let it hang out overnight. My fiancé and I pitched yeast in the morning. I do not have the exact recipe with me, but once I get home I will post it. Everybody loved it and it was well worth the time. Unfortunately my tree died so I cannot make more.

This is the only photo I have of it. You can see the 2 one gallon fermenters on the top right of this picture, it was a nice pinkish red.

edit recipe:
Half the 1 gallon carboy full of Pomegranite Juice
1 lb Sugar
2tsp Acid Blend
1/4tsp Tannin
1tsp Pectic Enzyme
1tsp Nutrient
1 Campden Tablet (Crushed)
1pkg Nottingham

Thats the recipe I used.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:48 AM   #3
superman1451
Recipes 

The recipe I ended up using was
4 quarts of pomegrante juice
12 pounds of sugar
4.5 pounds of raisins
4 gallons of water
5 juiced valencia oranges and 4 juiced lemons
2.5 teaspoons of Fermax
added 5 campden tablets, let it sit overnight and added a pkg of EC-1118

I ended up using the juice pressed from the whole fruit since it is a lot quicker and it did not seem to taste that different from juice pressed from the seeds.

How long did you ferment for and when did you bottle it?

Old 11-04-2011, 02:22 AM   #4
GodsStepBrother
Recipes 

Mine fermented for about 2 weeks or 3 weeks if I remember, I racked it off the yeast at that time. Then I went ahead and racked it another two times after that to help it clear over the period of 6 months. It was super clear after all that, and I had enough home brew to hold me off. I didn’t have a set time, the moment I realized it was done fermenting, I transferred to secondary. I bottled after 6 months and tried the first one a week after that.

I also used champagne yeast, your yeast will be different while fermenting.

Let me know how yours comes out,

Old 11-30-2011, 02:56 AM   #5
RfIiCrHeE
Recipes 

I followed a recipe similar to yours. I was excited about this recipe. I pitched the Yeast today and I see nothing happening. I thought that 10 lbs of sugar seemed like a lot. I looked at different blogs and they say that if too much sugar is in the batch that it can kill the yeast. Is that what happened? how do i know the yeast is still working? I do not see any co2 bubbles coming out of the bubbler. Please help!!!!!

Old 11-30-2011, 03:26 AM   #6
seanstermatic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

RfIiCrHeE,

yeast are working if original specific gravity is decreasing. yeast coinsume sugar to make alcohol, so if there's less sugar (indicated by hydrometer gravity reading) then the yeast are working

Old 11-30-2011, 01:14 PM   #7
GodsStepBrother
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RfIiCrHeE View Post
I followed a recipe similar to yours. I was excited about this recipe. I pitched the Yeast today and I see nothing happening. I thought that 10 lbs of sugar seemed like a lot. I looked at different blogs and they say that if too much sugar is in the batch that it can kill the yeast. Is that what happened? how do i know the yeast is still working? I do not see any co2 bubbles coming out of the bubbler. Please help!!!!!
This doesn't ferment like wine ferments, I remember when i did mine there was no krausen or anything like that. All you will see with your eye are tiny little bubbles rising to the top, did you add yeast nutrient?

Old 11-30-2011, 06:52 PM   #8
superman1451
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RfIiCrHeE View Post
It also takes a few days for it to start bubbling. I think mine started bubbling on the 3rd day after pitching the yeast and it has been bubbling vigorously ever since.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:56 AM   #9
superman1451
Recipes 

Just bottled this. Finished at 14.5% ABV or 1.000 FG. It has a good smell, but finished extremely dry. Hopefully it mellows out over the year. I also took a gallon of this, added 200 grams of sugar, and put it back in a carboy. Trying to sweeten it up a bit.

Quick Reply