Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Plum wine is so good I made 25 litres.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2009, 10:33 PM   #21
gregbathurst
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sorry that was a typo I meant to say plum juice! ( feel pretty stupid right now)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2009, 11:54 AM   #22
EoinMag
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbathurst View Post
With 1-1/2 pounds of sugar and an unspecified quantity of water your wine is hardly pure plum! I am just a bit averse to adding water and sugar, I prefer to use juice. perhaps if I did a plum/pear mix it would be closer to your wine, pear juice is pretty neutral.
Ozark plums are pretty nice, they are an american variety and very reliable bearers.

Yeah what I meant by pure plum was flavour related. I understand why you'd like to stick to pure juices, but you won't produce wine without the addition of sugars and water will bring the volume up.
I might try a plum wine at some point with pure juice, it'd certainly be interesting but a lot of work to get 25 litres of juice, as it was with that lot I had about ten litres and it took quite a while to juice them all, and broke a juicer too as I missed a stone or two on the way.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:50 PM   #23
BobOscarBob
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My father in law makes at least one batch of plum a year (6 gallon) - usually uses 1/2 bushel (~28 lbs) of fruit and 12 lbs of sugar if I recall correctly. 4 months to the bottle and 7 months to the glass. He's been making wine 40 years and still doesn't make 2 batches the exact same way - this will end up a bit dry sometimes - others a bit sweet - but my oh my! Popped a 2003 the other night and it was wonderful! Not sure how we kept a bottle that long - this family usually can't do that. Must have fallen between the cracks somewhere...

Bob

Old 05-18-2009, 11:11 PM   #24
gregbathurst
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobOscarBob View Post
He's been making wine 40 years and still doesn't make 2 batches the exact same way - this will end up a bit dry sometimes - others a bit sweet
Thats one of the great things about home brewing, you never get the same wine twice. How does he get the juice from the plums? or does he just ferment the whole fruit pulped. Maybe i should try this recipe, the plums are always earlier than the pears and apples anyway. I usually have about 50-100 lbs go to waste.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:56 AM   #25
EoinMag
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I've used this thing for juicing,

well this one is the replacement for the previous model which broke which didn't have the metal hopper tube which is what broke previously.
I'd say if your doing a hundred pound or more you should consider investing in a cider press, I have one of these too, but I only use it for large amounts of fruit.

Quick Reply