The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Plum wine is so good I made 25 litres.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2009, 11:30 AM   #11
EoinMag
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I moved the large wine to the secondary fermenter yesterday, added some more yeast nutrient, some wine tannin and some campden. It's bubbling along nicely again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2009, 06:20 PM   #12
Pogo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for posting the recipe and the updates.

I've got a ton of questions though.

Since it appears to me that this is a current project, rather than a past batch that you are telling us about, are these plums imported to a market local to you?

I can't believe that plums are ripe in Ireland this time of year! Surely these came from below the equator.

And, did you possibly take a specific gravity (SG) reading of the fresh squeezed juice, as well as one after adding the sugar?

I would love to know those numbers if at all possible.

Thanks,

Pogo

Old 04-06-2009, 07:59 PM   #13
EoinMag
Recipes 

I get the plums from a street market, probably Dutch imports, not sure of provenance.
I'm talking of two batches, one that I've done and one that is a work in progress.
I've not been too good with numbers to be honest, I didn't even take an OG on the large batch nor did I take an FG on the original batch. As I get more experienced I'll bother with the hydrometer more, sorry about that.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:29 AM   #14
EoinMag
Recipes 

Since the last postings, the first batch of plum wine is all gone, and the second, large batch, is still in the secondary, I will rack and take it off the lees shortly.
I took a sample the other night to test and this stuff is coming on fantastically.
It tastes a lot better than the first batch but there is a lot more plum juice proportionally in it and the colour is a beautiful err plum colour.

I'll possibly take another sample this weekend and show some photos.
The flavour is much more like the Japanese style plum wines and I can guarantee that plum wine will become a regular for me if they are all this good.

The main problem is, and this must change, I am not taking notes when I am making these things, and I should be for replications sake.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:11 PM   #15
gregbathurst
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a large ozark plum tree and much of the fruit goes to waste so I am V interested in this. Maybe I should try a plum/cider mix next year.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:02 AM   #16
EoinMag
Recipes 

Personally I'd not bother with the apples, unless those ozark plums don't taste good to eat.
Your call but pure plum is tasty according to my experiments thusfar.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:23 AM   #17
gregbathurst
Recipes 

With 1-1/2 pounds of sugar and an unspecified quantity of water your wine is hardly pure plum! I am just a bit averse to adding water and sugar, I prefer to use juice. perhaps if I did a plum/pear mix it would be closer to your wine, pear juice is pretty neutral.
Ozark plums are pretty nice, they are an american variety and very reliable bearers.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:27 AM   #18
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbathurst View Post
With 1-1/2 pounds of sugar and an unspecified quantity of water your wine is hardly pure plum! I am just a bit averse to adding water and sugar, I prefer to use juice. perhaps if I did a plum/pear mix it would be closer to your wine, pear juice is pretty neutral.
Ozark plums are pretty nice, they are an american variety and very reliable bearers.
Without adding sugar, your ABV will be too low to preserve the wine. Sugar is added to boost the alcohol. Even apple juice, if fermented out by itself, will only give you approximately 7% ABV. If you want a table wine of 12.5-13% ABV, that's almost impossible with just fruit and no sugar (except for wine grapes).

It's very common in country wines to use sugar (and some water, to bring up the volume) in many fruit wines.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:39 AM   #19
gregbathurst
Recipes 

Yeah, I know it is standard for country wines to use sugar and water, I didn't mean to criticise the practice. Everyone has their own way of doing things, because I live on a farm and have access to lots of fruit juice, this is what I prefer. I do think a well made cider at 7% will keep pretty well, at least as long as it takes me to drink it.
My interest in this thread is because I wasn't sure if fermented pear juice would taste good so it is interesting to hear positive comments on the result.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:38 PM   #20
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 780

Fermented pear juice is excellent! Think of "perry", and/or pear wines. I've only had a sweet commercial pear wine, but perry is wonderful.

Quick Reply