New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Plum Wine, Complete newb! Save me from myself!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #21
DoubleRainbow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was also given two 5 gallons pales of plums and would like suggestions of yeast. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 12:40 AM   #22
oldwinemaker
Recipes 

DoubleRainbow,
I've been making wine for 20 years and I never use yeast. All I use is sugar and water. NO CHEMICALS OR YEAST. I have made wine from Peaches, Raspberries, Blackberries, Plums and so on. For all the details on how I make it, send me a message or email and I'll tell you the exactly how I do it. The way I do it is too lengthly to put it here.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:15 AM   #23
dEMOiSEllE74
Recipes 

Here is a recipe I just finished doing. I am new to wine making, but after racking and clearing. It taste really good, and even better with a little back sweetening. I am bulk aging at the moment, before bottling. It's on the left.

Before you say anything, I know my temps are high. I currently can't help that. Working on making a fermentation chiller.

Recipe as follows:

6 gallon batch
30lbs Italian Prune/Stanley plums halved and de-stoned
45oz golden raisons
2tblsp mint
2tsp cloves
2 gallons of water
3tsp pectic enzyme
6 camden tablets

Plums were frozen for a week
Added camden + pectic enzyme at the same time.
Waited 24 hrs to pitch the yeast.
Starting ph 3.8 reduced to ph 3.1 with acid blend.
Starting gravity 1.100 at 87'
Racked to secondary at a gravity of 1.032 at 77'
Racked again .999 at 78'

Plums were put in a mesh bag and squeezed loosely at the beginning and must stirred to test ph. I aerated it daily and squeezed the bag to continue to break down the plums. My ph ended at 3.2. I used lalvin EC-1118 yeast.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:39 PM   #24
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 578 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 1256

So IXvolt, how's this plum wine progressing?

Old 09-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #25
IXVolt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratus fermentatio View Post
So IXvolt, how's this plum wine progressing?
Progressing well, I think...

I'm going to xfer off of the ?lees? (I want to say trub) tonight and let it bulk age another 3 months or so. I'm still learning terminology.

I'll take some pictures this evening when I'm working on it. The pink color has stayed about the same hue but it has cleared up significantly from the first picture I posted.

It has finished right at 0.999. I should probably test the pH, but I don't have any strips/kits to do that yet.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:57 AM   #26
IXVolt

Recipes 

Well I was hoping to get to work on the plum wine tonight, but my IPA brew session took longer than expected. 90 min mash, and 90min boil really adds the time on. Not to mention a slow sparge. Anyhow, I didn't make it to the plum wine. So maybe I'll get to it tomorrow...

Here's to hoping!

Old 09-22-2012, 04:18 PM   #27
MzAnnie
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 65

@OldWineMaker, I like the way you think. I use my old family recipe/back to basics combo, when making my wine. No chemicals, but I do use yeast. I use hydrogen peroxide/lemon juice/distilled water to clean with...so far so good!!! I also use balloons instead of airlocks. @ Double Rainbow, I started out using red star champagne yeast. Works really good. I also use Premier Cuvee, talk about bubble, bubble, toil and trouble...but I think it works so hard, it peters itself out. Hope this helps!!

Old 09-25-2012, 07:01 PM   #28
springmom
Texan, by golly. Grandma by the grace of God.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzAnnie View Post
@OldWineMaker, I like the way you think. I use my old family recipe/back to basics combo, when making my wine. No chemicals, but I do use yeast. I use hydrogen peroxide/lemon juice/distilled water to clean with...so far so good!!! I also use balloons instead of airlocks. @ Double Rainbow, I started out using red star champagne yeast. Works really good. I also use Premier Cuvee, talk about bubble, bubble, toil and trouble...but I think it works so hard, it peters itself out. Hope this helps!!
What strength hydrogen peroxide do you use? and what's up with the lemon juice and distilled water? (Not to hijack the thread: message me privately if that would be better.)

Old 09-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #29
MzAnnie
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by springmom View Post
What strength hydrogen peroxide do you use? and what's up with the lemon juice and distilled water? (Not to hijack the thread: message me privately if that would be better.)
Hi Spring, I don't think of it as hijacking a post, any and all information is worthwhile, whether right or wrong, we can all benefit. I use 3% hydrogen peroxide (1 capful, a couple drops of rubbing alcohol, two capsful of lemon juice {I use it because it is a great degreaser in the kitchen, and some of my buckets get quite skanky}in a sprayer bottle filled the rest of the way with distilled water). After I wipe them down, I have a sprayer filled with just distilled water, that I rinse them with. I have never used campden tablets, and I am sure they work well, but I try to make my wine as organic as possible. It is NOT competition wine, by any means. It is better than store bought, made with the best ingredients I can grow. This site is a wealth of information. My wine gets better and better with every thread I read!!!

Old 10-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #30
IXVolt

Recipes 

Update:

I racked the plum wine last night. The wine finished well. I tasted the sample and it's REALLY sour. Is there anything I can do to reduce this, or will time help settle it down?

It's not super clear yet, but I think that will clear up as it sits.

Quick Reply