Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Please critique my Blueberry Wine recipe!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2012, 01:52 AM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtown25 View Post
Great. The stopper size for a beer/wine bottle was pretty much the question/answer I was looking for. I plan on racking into secondary in 5-7 days and my initial plan was to rack 2 more times after that (1 time for each month). Do you think this is unnecessary? I plan to bottle for aging after 3 months unless you suggest differently.
I can't tell you when to rack, or bottle. Because fruit often will throw lees for a while, the best thing to do is just rack whenever you have lees 1/4" thick after about 45 days, or ANY lees at 60 days. That may be once, or three times, or more. Don't rack monthly, though- wait at least 45 days between rackings and then only rack if you need to. After 60 days, if you have lees (even a dusting) it's fine to rack at that point.

Bottle when you have NO lees dropping after at least 60 days. Remember that whatever sediment you have fall out is best in the fermenter and not in the bottle, so don't be in a hurry to bottle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2012, 07:36 AM   #12
muph
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Thank you so much. That is the exact type of info I was in search of (and thanks for the explanations as well instead of just stating something). I will definitely include your pointers!
Good to hear! Thanks. I like the new recipe too, looks like you've been getting some great advice on everything else. Managed to take a few notes myself!

Quote:
Great. The stopper size for a beer/wine bottle was pretty much the question/answer I was looking for. I plan on racking into secondary in 5-7 days and my initial plan was to rack 2 more times after that (1 time for each month). Do you think this is unnecessary? I plan to bottle for aging after 3 months unless you suggest differently.
I'd bottle near the end of aging (less sediment in bottles when compared to aging in bottles) and only rack every 2 months or so as needed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply