Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > plastic flavor in wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
musky412
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default plastic flavor in wine

I am fairly new to wine making and recently bottle a batch of pear wine. The fermentation process went as smooth as any batch I made, starting sg was 1.094 and the percent of acid was right where it should have been. I taste tested it four days before bottling and it was the best batch I made but when I bottled it had a plastic flavor to it. Any ideas what went wrong?
I use a glass secondary so it wasn't from the fermenter.

Thanks for the help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2011, 10:29 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4635 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by musky412 View Post
I am fairly new to wine making and recently bottle a batch of pear wine. The fermentation process went as smooth as any batch I made, starting sg was 1.094 and the percent of acid was right where it should have been. I taste tested it four days before bottling and it was the best batch I made but when I bottled it had a plastic flavor to it. Any ideas what went wrong?
I use a glass secondary so it wasn't from the fermenter.

Thanks for the help!
"Plastic" flavor usually comes from one of three sources: chlorine in the water; contamination/infection/ or stressed yeast. The weird thing is if it wasn't present until bottling, and just occurred prior to that, it makes me consider contamination as the culprit.

I'd guess the only thing to do now is age it a bit and see what happens. If it gets worse, it was contamination. If it gets better, it was stressed yeast. If it stays the same, probably chlorine in a sanitizer or the water used for making the wine. But I"m only guessing, of course.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:38 PM   #3
musky412
Recipes 

I have actually decided to change from tap water to spring hoping to improve the quality of my wine, of that was after the pear wine. How long do you think it would need to age before a change could be noticed?

Quick Reply