Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Plastic Fermenter Use (Beer and Wine)?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2008, 10:09 PM   #1
FatMonsters
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Plastic Fermenter Use (Beer and Wine)?

I have been thinking of trying to make a batch of wine, probably start with a kit like I did when I started brewing. I was in the LHBS the other day and was asking some general questions. I was told that I could not use my current plastic fermenter since I have made beer in it and I would have to buy a new one to ferment wine in. Is this true? I was hoping to use my current plastic fermenter for both wine and beer. Is it becuase its plastic and the beer somehow taints it for wine? I didn't understand this.

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2008, 10:11 PM   #2
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

It will be fine just sanitize it real good. and make sure its big enough, most wine kits are 6gallon I think.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:17 AM   #3
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have successfully used my bottling bucket to make wine. I elected to use it instead of my primary because my primary fermentor has a nice hop smell to it. I LOVE the smell, but I was not real excited about having it in my Kiwi flavored wine.

For the 7 or 8 bucks....I am not sure I'd risk a $100 wine kit on it...that's certainly not to say it WON'T WORK. It will work just fine...just be careful of carryover flavors.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:19 AM   #4
JVD_X
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulcahey's Brewing View Post
I have been thinking of trying to make a batch of wine, probably start with a kit like I did when I started brewing. I was in the LHBS the other day and was asking some general questions. I was told that I could not use my current plastic fermenter since I have made beer in it and I would have to buy a new one to ferment wine in. Is this true? I was hoping to use my current plastic fermenter for both wine and beer. Is it becuase its plastic and the beer somehow taints it for wine? I didn't understand this.

Any information is greatly appreciated!
Use Saniclean from 5 Star Chemicals to get the color and smell out before and after you make wine in it. Otherwise your beer with smell like grapes and your grapes like hops.

- JVD_X

Old 07-03-2008, 01:27 PM   #5
FatMonsters
Recipes 

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Quick Reply