Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Plastic bottles for bottling wine?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2009, 06:09 PM   #1
dash14251
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Plastic bottles for bottling wine?

Ok call me a hippy if you want, but i kept all 10 half gallon bottles that my apple juice came in to make my apfelwein. I just couldnt see throwing them away.

1. this may be a dumb question, but later when i start dabbling in real fruit wine and/or grape wine can it be bottled in these half gallon plastic bottles? they have the regular screw top. they are PET.

2. also, can they be used for carbonated wines/apfelwein/cider? im not sure how they are at holding pressure but i know when i leave a .5L PET water bottle in my truck it pressurizes and holds it until i open it, and thats without a rubber gasket inside.

anyway, i know it wouldnt win a prize for presentation, but maybe a green award?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #2
Snuffalupagus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash14251 View Post
Ok call me a hippy if you want, but i kept all 10 half gallon bottles that my apple juice came in to make my apfelwein. I just couldnt see throwing them away.

1. this may be a dumb question, but later when i start dabbling in real fruit wine and/or grape wine can it be bottled in these half gallon plastic bottles? they have the regular screw top. they are PET.

2. also, can they be used for carbonated wines/apfelwein/cider? im not sure how they are at holding pressure but i know when i leave a .5L PET water bottle in my truck it pressurizes and holds it until i open it, and thats without a rubber gasket inside.

anyway, i know it wouldnt win a prize for presentation, but maybe a green award?

if you sanitize the caps and bottles you can do this.
I actually extensively use virgin 500ml PET bottles ("1" recycle code) and screw caps to bottle most of my sparkling ciders and beer. shipping glass to Hawaii is too expensive - and the local populace isn't into beer that comes in brown crowncap bottles - so raiding recycle bins for glass is hit or miss...

after I've drunk the contents of the PET bottles, I wash, sanitize and re use them - I insist on getting my plastic bottles and caps back from anyone I give brew to

so I don't see re using your #1 PET juice bottles as being any kind of problem at all. sounds like a smart way to go to me.
Drinking: "All Apple" Apfelwein, Mixed Berry Country wine, Blueberry Belgian White ale.

comming to a carboy near you...
Redhook ESB clone

Old 06-19-2009, 02:50 AM   #3
craven_morhead
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Does this work if the ciders are fairly well carbed? I don't want to blow up any bottles.

Primary: Cascade/Amarillo IPA

Old 06-19-2009, 02:53 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by craven_morhead View Post
Does this work if the ciders are fairly well carbed? I don't want to blow up any bottles.
If you use bottles that can handle pressure, then it works great! By that I mean, soda bottles or other bottles that can handle carbonation. NOT water bottles, which weren't designed for pressure.

Quick Reply