pH Adjustment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikder82

Reaction score
Just did my second racking of a wine using king of the north grapes. It has a very good flavor, though still fizzy with CO2. The only complaint I have to this point is a quite tart acidic flavor right up front. Could this be attributed to a low pH? Is it to late for MLF? Can I adjust the pH during my final racking? And in case you're wonder, no I do not have a pH meter or test kit. Thank you in advance.

I though of putting it in a super soaker and spraying packer fans in their formal white away jerseys outside of lambeau.

Why not back sweeten with wine conditioner to balance tart / sweet characteristics? Essentially "seasoning to taste." After hitting preferred balance, degassing, stabilizing, and bottling...aging will do the rest. I wouldn’t worry about a malolactic fermentation at this point… That’ll just dry it out further and increase the tart… What you need is balance from sweet. Possibly a little tannin from powder or oak may provide deeper complexity and balance as well.

Cheers,

-JM

What I would do first is simply wait. The gassy wine will be a bit acidic, just from the c02.

I found that putting it away someplace cool does drop out much of the acidity in the form of tartaric acid crystals ("wine diamonds") and in 6 months, the wine might be perfect. If not, there are steps then you can take, like sweetening a bit, using bentonite, adjusting the flavors, etc, then.

Back