Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Persimmon Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2011, 04:38 PM   #11
Reaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Also... for reference...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/absu...roject-154932/

Women are like yeast... You gotta keep them at the right temperature if you want to get anything out of them!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2011, 05:09 PM   #12
MeadHorn
Recipes 

Thanks for linking that post, it made my day!

Old 11-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #13
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I am about to make my first Persimmon Wine!! We have a great Hachiya Persimmon tree in our backyard that produces a lot of fruit. As was mentioned before Hachiya have to be super ripe before you eat. So if all my fruit is NOT ready at the same time can I take the ripe stuff and start the wine and gradually add more fruit as it ripens? I would make sure I add a Campden tab before I add the fruit to kill any wild yeast. Another alternative is to just add the fruit in the sanitized bucket with Campden tabs and keep adding to it until I have enough for 5-6 gallons of wine. What do you guys think?

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Old 11-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #14
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog
Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I am about to make my first Persimmon Wine!! We have a great Hachiya Persimmon tree in our backyard that produces a lot of fruit. As was mentioned before Hachiya have to be super ripe before you eat. So if all my fruit is NOT ready at the same time can I take the ripe stuff and start the wine and gradually add more fruit as it ripens? I would make sure I add a Campden tab before I add the fruit to kill any wild yeast. Another alternative is to just add the fruit in the sanitized bucket with Campden tabs and keep adding to it until I have enough for 5-6 gallons of wine. What do you guys think?
Freeze ripe pulp until you have what you need. Hachiya will shift from that hard bitter fruit to soft, sweet if you freeze it whole for a few days and then thaw it. But freeze the ones that have spots of softness for best impact if you plan to freezer sweeten. You could definitely step feed the ripe fruit into the ferment but you will have impossible time calculating SG and ACV, but you would need to be sure to kerp it coming in increments.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Quick Reply