pectic enzyme and not waiting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_al

Reaction score
i'm new and some how i overlooked the fact that you let pectic enzyme sit for 12 hours in the must, then pitch your yeast...

yesterday i started up a gallon of welches wine just to experiment and again i forgot to wait, my question is will it still do the job just much slower during fermentation and later while bulk aging or will it just need time or another addition of enzyme later?

I think its fine, I don't remember the order but I think the 12 hour thing is when using camden as well

It will work to a degree, even though the developing alcohol denatures the enzyme so at some point it becomes ineffective.

From what you said I assume you are using welches grape juice ... this is not such an issue when using juice. Not having used pectic enzyme is more of an issue when you are actually using fruit/grapes in the must rather than just juice. The enzyme is significant for extracting the juice, coloration and flavor (from grapes etc).
I would think you are not likely to run in to any problem with pectin haze. You got it in there in any regard ... you'll be fine.

Thanks for the replies, i decided i had better screw around with something more wine like before jumping to the grapes we are picking tomorrow.

I had planned on adding it then waiting but was to eager lol.

on that note when using the real grapes the proper amount of time will be used. I wont even bring the yeast to where were making it until the next day.

Latest posts

Back