Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Peach wine won't clear...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #11
RuthiePowell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I used local peaches. Pasteurized them and then added pectic enzyme as soon as it cooled. Let it rest for 24 hours and then added the yeast. I've had lactobacillus when I didn't pasteurize the fruit first. Anyway, Weeks have passed and it has been racked twice and degassed and speedy bentonite added. It's been over a week after the bentonite and the peach wine looks slightly greenish from the bentonite and isn't clearing.
My husband is a beer home-brewer and he keeps wanting to work the wine like he would an ale that isn't clearing. He put it in his lagering fridge, after adding gelatin, for a week and a half and it didn't clear. (that was before I added the bentonite).
What now? Chill again or toss it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #12
RuthiePowell
Recipes 

I'm going to try one more racking and chilling it.

Last edited by RuthiePowell; 08-23-2013 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Accidentally posted twice

Old 08-24-2013, 09:28 PM   #13
Ash_Mathew
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

See, I always let my wine/mead ferment and do their stuff. Then, about 48 hours before I am going to filter, I use finnings and pectolase. I found that adding pectolase before then, well, it just plain doesn't work. But that's just me. Works, though.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #14
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4469 Times on 3252 Posts
Likes Given: 869

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuthiePowell View Post
I used local peaches. Pasteurized them and then added pectic enzyme as soon as it cooled. Let it rest for 24 hours and then added the yeast. I've had lactobacillus when I didn't pasteurize the fruit first. Anyway, Weeks have passed and it has been racked twice and degassed and speedy bentonite added. It's been over a week after the bentonite and the peach wine looks slightly greenish from the bentonite and isn't clearing.
My husband is a beer home-brewer and he keeps wanting to work the wine like he would an ale that isn't clearing. He put it in his lagering fridge, after adding gelatin, for a week and a half and it didn't clear. (that was before I added the bentonite).
What now? Chill again or toss it?
If you cooked the fruit, that set the pectin (think jam/jelly) and it won't clear. Ever.

It's ok to drink it, but it just doesn't look as pretty.

NEVER heat or cook fruit (except for very rare cases/recipes). Not only does it mean the wine won't clear, it changes the flavor of the fruit. A "cooked fruit" taste in the wine isn't as good as a never-heated fruit.

To sanitize fruit/must, most winemakers use campden tablets (sulfites) which dissipate out and then a chosen wine yeast strain is added for fermentation.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:05 PM   #15
CurtisH
Recipes 

Ive always had great luck with it 1 tablespoon to 1 cup of water boil5 minutes then add to the wine while hot ive seen results in 24 hrs every time but u may still have to filter to get rid of a haze

Old 05-22-2014, 11:13 PM   #16
RuthiePowell
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
If you cooked the fruit, that set the pectin (think jam/jelly) and it won't clear. Ever.

It's ok to drink it, but it just doesn't look as pretty.

NEVER heat or cook fruit (except for very rare cases/recipes). Not only does it mean the wine won't clear, it changes the flavor of the fruit. A "cooked fruit" taste in the wine isn't as good as a never-heated fruit.

To sanitize fruit/must, most winemakers use campden tablets (sulfites) which dissipate out and then a chosen wine yeast strain is added for fermentation.
Well, it did clear and you we're not helpful. It just took longer than I had expected. It gave me time to do additions like French oak chips and crystallized ginger. It's absolutely fantastic and thank you to the people who had great ideas on what to do.

I've been helping others and making my own for a long time, I wanted to see if anyone else had info I hadn't picked up yet.

I've currently have Almond sparkling wine, a dry French oaked Loganberry wine, sweet Blueberry and a dry French oaked Blueberry wine, American oaked and gingered apple wine, French oaked and gingered peach wine, Skeeter Pee and a Pinot Noir in my wine racks. Yes, I made all of that.

I also have a Candy Bar Porter, all grain. All grain Honey Tea Amber that my husband and I made on National Homebrew Day.

Quick Reply