New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Peach wine won't clear...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #11
RuthiePowell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I used local peaches. Pasteurized them and then added pectic enzyme as soon as it cooled. Let it rest for 24 hours and then added the yeast. I've had lactobacillus when I didn't pasteurize the fruit first. Anyway, Weeks have passed and it has been racked twice and degassed and speedy bentonite added. It's been over a week after the bentonite and the peach wine looks slightly greenish from the bentonite and isn't clearing.
My husband is a beer home-brewer and he keeps wanting to work the wine like he would an ale that isn't clearing. He put it in his lagering fridge, after adding gelatin, for a week and a half and it didn't clear. (that was before I added the bentonite).
What now? Chill again or toss it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #12
RuthiePowell
Recipes 

I'm going to try one more racking and chilling it.

Last edited by RuthiePowell; 08-23-2013 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Accidentally posted twice

Old 08-24-2013, 09:28 PM   #13
Ash_Mathew
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

See, I always let my wine/mead ferment and do their stuff. Then, about 48 hours before I am going to filter, I use finnings and pectolase. I found that adding pectolase before then, well, it just plain doesn't work. But that's just me. Works, though.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #14
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Liked 3853 Times on 2815 Posts
Likes Given: 642

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuthiePowell View Post
I used local peaches. Pasteurized them and then added pectic enzyme as soon as it cooled. Let it rest for 24 hours and then added the yeast. I've had lactobacillus when I didn't pasteurize the fruit first. Anyway, Weeks have passed and it has been racked twice and degassed and speedy bentonite added. It's been over a week after the bentonite and the peach wine looks slightly greenish from the bentonite and isn't clearing.
My husband is a beer home-brewer and he keeps wanting to work the wine like he would an ale that isn't clearing. He put it in his lagering fridge, after adding gelatin, for a week and a half and it didn't clear. (that was before I added the bentonite).
What now? Chill again or toss it?
If you cooked the fruit, that set the pectin (think jam/jelly) and it won't clear. Ever.

It's ok to drink it, but it just doesn't look as pretty.

NEVER heat or cook fruit (except for very rare cases/recipes). Not only does it mean the wine won't clear, it changes the flavor of the fruit. A "cooked fruit" taste in the wine isn't as good as a never-heated fruit.

To sanitize fruit/must, most winemakers use campden tablets (sulfites) which dissipate out and then a chosen wine yeast strain is added for fermentation.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:05 PM   #15
CurtisH
Recipes 

Ive always had great luck with it 1 tablespoon to 1 cup of water boil5 minutes then add to the wine while hot ive seen results in 24 hrs every time but u may still have to filter to get rid of a haze

Quick Reply