HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Peach wine is a trip, y'all!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2006, 07:10 AM   #1
Cap'n Jewbeard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Peach wine is a trip, y'all!

So I finally got SWMBO in on the act last Saturday- we sat down with about 15 recently frozen peaches, pitted 'em, smooshed 'em all to hell, and started a peach wine going. (Which, in accordance with my line of brews, will be called "The Captain's Comfort).

4 days later, I see no airlock activity. I wonder to myself: Why is this so?

I commit a minor sin and open the bucket, to find all of the peach solids CAKED on the top of the must. It then occurs to me:

1) I have never vinted with whole fruit before, but I hear of this happening with grape wines all the time (in fact, it's supposedly good).

2) That cap was holding in quite a bit of C02.

So, since I once heard that it's a good idea to paddle that cap back into the must once in a while, I did so- released a TON of gas.

Took a hydro reading (it dropped from 1080 to 1060 in 4 days), tasted it (like fizzy, sweet peach juice), and decided that there's nothing wrong with the progress so far.

I am stoked! This is totally cool! The next time I open it, I may take pics of the must cap. Wheeee!

Primary/Lagering: April-zen Festbier
Drinking: Starburn Spiced Amber
Drinking: Regulus Rye/Wheat with a bite
Drinking: George Takei's O My-bock

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2006, 01:58 PM   #2
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Liked 3847 Times on 2811 Posts
Likes Given: 638

When I make fruit wines, I always leave them in the primary until the s.g. is around 1.020 and stir very frequently. I don't use a lid, just a muslin or towel cover to keep fruitflies out. (I use campden tablets initially for so2) There's always tons of co2 coming out. This only takes a few days usually. It seems like it speeds down to 1.020, and then takes a looooong time to finish fermenting when I put it in the carboy. My fruit is always floating, so I take a sanitized paddle and push and stir,

I bet the smell of that peach wine is awesome! Let me know how this turns out- I might want to try it sometime if I get some good peaches.

Lorena

Old 08-10-2006, 02:52 PM   #3
Cap'n Jewbeard

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yes indeed, it smells wonderful!

It seems to have lost some of the pinkish wonderful color it had when I first started it, but I think a lot of that was particulate matter that is now coming out. I'm wondering whether to isinglass it later, or just leave it cloudy and pectin-tacular in the spirit of a true country wine.

Now that I've stirred it up and broken the cap, by the way, it's bubbling along just fine!

For a sweet wine, what would you say the FG should be (approx). We're not shooting for 1.000 here, right?

Primary/Lagering: April-zen Festbier
Drinking: Starburn Spiced Amber
Drinking: Regulus Rye/Wheat with a bite
Drinking: George Takei's O My-bock

Old 08-10-2006, 11:15 PM   #4
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

I use a little pectic enzyme in my country wines, and I've never had to use finings. Of course, I'm a patient soul and my dandelion still hasn't cleared. The only peach wine I've seen had no color at all, not even a blush to it. It was a completely clear white wine with wonderful peach flavor and aroma.

I like dry wines, but I think most people like them sweet or at least off-dry. The scale I've seen used is this one: (I'm going from memory, so double check this!)

under 1.000- dry
1.001-1.010- off dry
1.011-1.020 semi-sweet
1.021 and up- sweet.

They actually have these set for entries in contest, because what's "sweet" for one person might not be for another. I think the peach wine I've tried was in the neighborhood of 1.020. Tasty, but way too sweet for me. If you do a search for the correct s.g. designations, I'm sure you'll find it. I'd probably finish it dry to off-dry for a dinner wine, semi-sweet for a dessert wine.

Lorena

Old 08-14-2006, 07:53 PM   #5
Willie3

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Lorenae,

I have heard you use the terms campden, sorbate, sulfite - being a newB want to be vinter, how do I get to understand what you are talking about. All I want to do is add fruit and yeast and wait.

Thanks

- WW

Old 08-14-2006, 10:28 PM   #6
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

The sorbate and campden are used pretty typically by home winemakers, and not at all difficult to use. The campden is potassium metasulfite, and that's used to kill bacteria/mold/yeast on fruit and to halt fermentation of wild yeasts. You just add that to your fruit and then every other racking. The sorbate is used to stop fermentation/stabilize wine, because many winemakers like to sweeten their wine. Most yeast wines take the wine to dry, so you have to backsweeten if you want it off-dry. When you sweeten, if you don't sorbate, you'll restart fermentation.

I'm a newbie winemaker myself- but I've been learning fast. Even with the Welche's grape juice recipe, a few additions like that make all the difference between something drinkable and something good. My favorite wine site on the web is Jack keller's: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/prelude.asp

It'll help so much!

Lorena

Quick Reply