The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Peach wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #1
newbiewinemaker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Peach wine

Hey everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has ever made peach wine with the following recipe? I would like to carbonate this as well but not sure what the best way to be would be.

Also opinions on if this wine would be dry or sweet? I like more sweet wines so I would want to backsweeten. Anyone have any good ideas for doing this?

Thanks in advanced!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
Honda88
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I would back sweeten with a must/sugar mixture or you could just back sweeten with a sugar/water mixture. If you wanted the peach flavor to really come out in the wine obviously you would do the must/sugar mixture, in fact you could probably get away with just back sweetening with must only if it was sweet enough. Anyways just my 2 cents. As far as carbonation goes I don't make sparkling wines so my experience in that area is fairly limited.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:26 PM   #3
newbiewinemaker
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I am really unsure of how to backsweeten. If I did it with must and sugar, I would need to save some of the unfermented juice wouldn't I? The instructions of the link said to quarter the peaches and then squeeze as much juice out as I could and then dump the whole mess in the primary.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:58 PM   #4
Cheesy_Goodness
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 296

If you want to make it sparkling and sweet at the same time, this thread will be invaluable
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy...g-pics-193295/

Essentially what you can do (there may be other options) is when it's finished fermenting, add your sugar/juice and get it tasting like you want.
Typically, you would add sodium metabisulfite (campden tablets) and potassium sorbate, which would critically stop the yeast from eating the additional sugar. Since it would essentially stop fermenting, there wouldn't be any C02 given off, and the wine would be still.
But, if you want sparkling, don't add the sodium or potassium. Bottle after you add the sugar/juice and make sure you add some to an old soda bottle. The soda bottle will be your "test." Whenever the soda bottle is firm (or before it gets to that point if you don't want much carbonation), you need to pasteurize ASAP, otherwise you will have bottle bombs on your hands. The thread above will help you a lot.

My only two concerns would be the cork's ability to hold in the CO2 during this whole process, and ensuring that the entire bottle reaches the necessary temperature to kill the yeast. Beer bottles are easy enough because they're pretty small, but wine bottles might be a bit more difficult.

...or you could probably use a keg and save yourself a lot of trouble

Good luck!

Old 08-15-2013, 11:05 PM   #5
HBngNOK
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiewinemaker View Post
Hey everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has ever made peach wine with the following recipe? I would like to carbonate this as well but not sure what the best way to be would be.

Also opinions on if this wine would be dry or sweet? I like more sweet wines so I would want to backsweeten. Anyone have any good ideas for doing this?

Thanks in advanced!
What recipe?

Old 08-15-2013, 11:18 PM   #6
newbiewinemaker
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

sorry I forgot to post the link! http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Make-...ch-Wine-Recipe

Old 08-15-2013, 11:31 PM   #7
Honda88
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I suggest you get some champagne bottles or heavy duty beer bottles if your going to try this. You could also keg it and push it with C02 but you would have to lay down some cash for that equipment.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:51 PM   #8
newbiewinemaker
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I would really like to bottle it. I could by pass carbonating if I could get it to be a nice peachy sweet flavor but I have never back-sweetened before and am unsure what to backsweet with or how much of what.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:27 AM   #9
Cheesy_Goodness
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda88 View Post
I suggest you get some champagne bottles or heavy duty beer bottles if your going to try this. You could also keg it and push it with C02 but you would have to lay down some cash for that equipment.
+1

If you're set on bottles you could probably get by with just table sugar (make sure it's dissolved in something to make sure it gets mixed in), but you should be able to find either peach juice or frozen peach juice concentrate (probably less likely).

If you go the juice/concentrate route, make sure it doesn't have any preservatives, as it will kill/severely inhibit yeast growth (carbonation).

Old 08-16-2013, 12:41 AM   #10
HBngNOK
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 41

You might backsweeten to taste with frozen-concentrated white grape peach juice.

Quick Reply