Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Peach Port help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #11
CaptainLongneck
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I am having a blast.

I have heard a wise man say that often it is the anticipation that makes a hobby great. I will have to double down my efforts to find a plain white grape concentrate, but I know I can find white raisins easy. How many raisins? a cup or two?

and for those of you reading through going.. "why, thats not a port he is describing, but better a sherry." yes I have come to discover that, simply a misnomer for a hodge-podge first attempt.

I am only concerned about the gases, because I know peaches to be very gassy, and lost a lot of good bottles to in-attention to gas levels. I am always improving the level of patience I allow my brews, and am looking forwards to pulling out a bottle in a few (maybe 5) years and saying that I made this, and its awesome.

as far as my fortifying SG im thinking around 1.015. I will still continue to allow it to ferment as far as I can (1.00/0.99), and am considering postponing the fortification until I am sure the flavor is vibrant enough for the aging. I will only be adding sliced fruit, so while it will add sugars, the base wine will be at or around my target abv that I wont be too concerned about continued fermentation as long as my flavor holds. which im sure it will.

as to when, Probably soon. I am between paychecks, so hopefully I will be able to pick up the correct size bottle of everclear pretty soon. I wasnt aware of the 151 proof bottle, which greatly reduces the amount of additional fluid i will need ( by about 2/3s gallon )

so, I will let it ferment another few days into the weekend, where I will recheck my SG and prepare to remove the first fruits and to rack. I will probably rack each gallon onto another pound of peaches, and fortify on my second racking.

anything Im missing?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 05:25 AM   #12
springmom
Texan, by golly. Grandma by the grace of God.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Use a pound of raisins and chop them up. Then soak them overnight before adding to the wine.

This IS a blast, isn't it!?!?!?!?!

Considering: Sparkling raspberry wine, carrot wine

In Primary: Ed's Apfelwein; Raspberry Puree Apple Cider

In Secondary: Pumpkin Pie Mead; Traditional Mead; Dried Elderberry Wine; Blueberry Wine; Texas Persimmon wine; White grape/peach wine; Texas Twang; Hi, Biscus! Metheglyn; A Maize-ing Wine

So far, so good.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:45 PM   #13
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Good plans! In support of your port making, I will say that I know many who make their port by chaptalizing and fortifying at a specific residual sugar mark versus fermenting dry, backsweetening and fortifying. I really would not call this a sherry, as that requires a flor development. But if you think it turns out sherry-like, nothing wrong with that.

On gas issue....if you bulk age this for a minimum of a year I honestly do not anticipate gas issues, meaning dissolved CO2. As long as you do not have rotten egg odor you should be fine. Far too early to work on degassing anyway.

Using the golden raisins for body I would use 8-16 oz per gallon of wine. May want to tuck them into a straing bag for quick, easy removal (nylon kneehigh stocking comes in handy)

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 10-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #14
CaptainLongneck
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Here are my two 1 gallon carboys with peach wine. Still un fortified, fermented out until .997. At this point they still have a little head space, this is for adding sliced peaches to later.

image-1178170113.jpg  

Old 10-31-2012, 04:11 PM   #15
CaptainLongneck
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Always amazed to see how the color can change. After I added the raisin soup, and more peaches, it went from the pictured pasty color to a vibrant peach color

Quick Reply