Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > oxyclean rinse process

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
divi2323
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Default oxyclean rinse process

I'm prepping to bottle about 75 bottles of wine and I'm using oxyclean to delabel my bottles. I make a sink full of hot tap water and add in about 1/8 to 1/4 cup of oxyclean and let a dozen bottles soak for 30-60 minutes. Afterwards I drain and delabel them. Then I rinse inside and out with more hot tap water.

Final step I use my bottle sterilizer with a mixture of iodophor and hang the bottles on the bottle tree to dry.

Have not bottled anything with these bottles yet but I'm worried about the amount of oxyclean that might be a residual on the bottles and its effects on the wine if so.

Does anyone else use oxy and a general water rinse in this way? Would be interested in your experience.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
DoctorCAD
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Every time I bottle...

As long as you rinsed them well, you'll be fine.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 20

agreed. I soak in oxiclean after I get a batch that I've used previously. Rinse 3-4 times and then store them. Then right before I use them, I pull them out...rinse them again and run them through the sanitize cycle in the dishwasher. As soon as they are done, I rinse them with star san and put them back into the dishwasher to drain before filling them. Probably a bit OCD, but it's worked for me.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
vicratlhead51
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just soak in oxyclean for a day or two then triple rinse them then sanitize. I know its kind of wasteful but it works great and I'm not exactly in an area where fresh water is in short supply. I suppose if you wanted to conserve water you could do a couple rinse buckets. The first would be like a dirty rinse then the second bucket could be a clean rinse.

"Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water."-W. C. Fields

-Chuck Norris had to ask Niel Fallon for permission to grow a beard.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:01 AM   #5
DoctorCAD
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicratlhead51 View Post
I just soak in oxyclean for a day or two then triple rinse them then sanitize. I know its kind of wasteful but it works great and I'm not exactly in an area where fresh water is in short supply. I suppose if you wanted to conserve water you could do a couple rinse buckets. The first would be like a dirty rinse then the second bucket could be a clean rinse.
Just like a bar sink...wash, rinse, rinse, rinse, refill.

Quick Reply