Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Organic unfiltered Juice for Apfelwein? Cloudy juice=Cloudy Apfewein?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
Smithman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Organic unfiltered Juice for Apfelwein? Cloudy juice=Cloudy Apfewein?

My wife volunteered to get me some non-preservative apple juice today for my first attempt at apfelwein based on the recipe in the sticky. I just got home and note that she bought organic apple juice with no preservatives, but also unfiltered. It is cloudy in the jugs.

Will the stuff making this juice cloudy drop to the bottom of the carboy as sediment before racking or will my finished product be cloudy for all time if I use it? Any input is appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithman
My wife volunteered to get me some non-preservative apple juice today for my first attempt at apfelwein based on the recipe in the sticky. I just got home and note that she bought organic apple juice with no preservatives, but also unfiltered. It is cloudy in the jugs.

Will the stuff making this juice cloudy drop to the bottom of the carboy as sediment before racking or will my finished product be cloudy for all time if I use it? Any input is appreciated.
Once fermentation ends, all the solids will drop to the bottom. It will clear, just make sure you dose it with pectic enzyme.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #3
Goofynewfie
Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 25

It should be fine. When I did mine I used apples from the trees in my yard that I ran through a juicer for 100% of the juice

You cant always be young but you can always be immature

Old 11-20-2012, 11:14 PM   #4
Smithman
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalou View Post
Once fermentation ends, all the solids will drop to the bottom. It will clear, just make sure you dose it with pectic enzyme.
How much enzyme for 5 gallons?

Quick Reply