Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Oregon Puree
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2009, 07:32 PM   #1
Firstnten
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Aberdeen NJ
Posts: 380
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Oregon Puree

Thinking about doing 5 gallons of apricot. 2 cans + 5 gallons of water + yeast.

No nutrient no added anything.

Has anyone around here used this stuff for wine?

any input on using Vintners Harvest Fruit Wine Bases opposed to this?

I would love to see any successful recipes please!!!!

__________________
Firstnten is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: the sun
Posts: 15,727
Liked 313 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

I am no wine expert, but unless those cans are about 2 gallons each, I don't think you will have enough sugar to ferment and have anything more potent than a non-alcoholic beer.

I just added 3 cans, 45oz of Oregon fruit to a beer, it had something like 13g of sugar per serving which I think was 2 or 3 per can. So with that math, I only added 78 - 117 grams of sugar, but mine was only for taste not turning into alcohol.

__________________
humann_brewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2009, 10:50 PM   #3
Firstnten
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Aberdeen NJ
Posts: 380
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
I am no wine expert, but unless those cans are about 2 gallons each, I don't think you will have enough sugar to ferment and have anything more potent than a non-alcoholic beer.

I just added 3 cans, 45oz of Oregon fruit to a beer, it had something like 13g of sugar per serving which I think was 2 or 3 per can. So with that math, I only added 78 - 117 grams of sugar, but mine was only for taste not turning into alcohol.
I'm gonna add sugar.
__________________
Firstnten is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2009, 12:38 PM   #4
EvilTOJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
EvilTOJ's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Portland, OR, Oregon
Posts: 6,465
Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

How big are the cans? If they're the 12 oz size, 2 cans isn't going to give you much more than apricot flavored hooch water. The sugar flavor after it's fermented will taint the apricot flavor. I would add at least 3 lbs worth for a 5 gallon batch, 6 if you can afford it.

__________________

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

EvilTOJ is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2009, 01:55 PM   #5
CBBaron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CBBaron's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 2,787
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTOJ View Post
How big are the cans? If they're the 12 oz size, 2 cans isn't going to give you much more than apricot flavored hooch water. The sugar flavor after it's fermented will taint the apricot flavor. I would add at least 3 lbs worth for a 5 gallon batch, 6 if you can afford it.
The Oregon Fruit puree is 3# cans. So he is using 6# of fruit. Still for a wine I think that is very light. I usually see numbers like 3-6#/gallon.

Sorry I don't have experience with either product however both seem to be high quality fruit products. I believe the Oregon fruit is just whole fruit, seeded and pureed, while the Vintner's Harvest is fruit and juice or just juice depending on the fruit.

I think if I was making a wine I would use a couple cans of Vintner's Harvest. If I was using it to flavor a beer or mead I would probably use the Oregon Fruit. Either would work but I would still plan to use at least 2# per gallon, 3# would be better. Fruit wines are not cheap.

Craig
__________________
CBBaron is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 02:21 PM   #6
Firstnten
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Aberdeen NJ
Posts: 380
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTOJ View Post
How big are the cans? If they're the 12 oz size, 2 cans isn't going to give you much more than apricot flavored hooch water. The sugar flavor after it's fermented will taint the apricot flavor. I would add at least 3 lbs worth for a 5 gallon batch, 6 if you can afford it.
49oz cans.............
__________________
Firstnten is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 02:24 PM   #7
Firstnten
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Aberdeen NJ
Posts: 380
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post
The Oregon Fruit puree is 3# cans. So he is using 6# of fruit. Still for a wine I think that is very light. I usually see numbers like 3-6#/gallon.

Sorry I don't have experience with either product however both seem to be high quality fruit products. I believe the Oregon fruit is just whole fruit, seeded and pureed, while the Vintner's Harvest is fruit and juice or just juice depending on the fruit.

I think if I was making a wine I would use a couple cans of Vintner's Harvest. If I was using it to flavor a beer or mead I would probably use the Oregon Fruit. Either would work but I would still plan to use at least 2# per gallon, 3# would be better. Fruit wines are not cheap.

Craig
I was planning on using 2 of the Oregons
so your saying 3 cans of 49 ozOregons. And or 2 of Vintner's for 5 gallons.
__________________
Firstnten is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 04:24 PM   #8
CBBaron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CBBaron's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 2,787
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstnten View Post
I was planning on using 2 of the Oregons
so your saying 3 cans of 49 ozOregons. And or 2 of Vintner's for 5 gallons.
I think 2 cans of Oregon or 1 can of Vintner's would be the minimum for a 5 gallon batch. The Vintner's can includes recipes for 3gal or 5gal from a single cap but many people say they find the 5gal recipe kind of thin.
I don't think you would be wrong using 2 cans of Vintner's fruit base in a 5gal wine. 3 or even 4 cans of Oregon fruit would probably work also. Ofcourse this does depend on the fruit as some fruits have much stronger flavors than others.

Now this is just my opinion based on a couple batches using fresh fruit and on other opinions I have read. I have not used either product.

Craig
__________________
CBBaron is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 04:49 PM   #9
EvilTOJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
EvilTOJ's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Portland, OR, Oregon
Posts: 6,465
Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

I've used oregon puree before, and it's just the fruit pulverized until it's a nice mushy mess. Me being in Oregon, I guess I'm privy to getting smaller sizes of puree, hence why I asked the size of the cans. Six pounds of apricots will work just fine for a 5 gallon batch, but it won't be wine strength (not a bad thing). If you can afford 9 lbs I would use that, but you'll definitely get something drinkable and tasty with 6 lbs plus 2 lbs of sugar.

__________________

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

EvilTOJ is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 06:58 PM   #10
Firstnten
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Aberdeen NJ
Posts: 380
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTOJ View Post
I've used oregon puree before, and it's just the fruit pulverized until it's a nice mushy mess. Me being in Oregon, I guess I'm privy to getting smaller sizes of puree, hence why I asked the size of the cans. Six pounds of apricots will work just fine for a 5 gallon batch, but it won't be wine strength (not a bad thing). If you can afford 9 lbs I would use that, but you'll definitely get something drinkable and tasty with 6 lbs plus 2 lbs of sugar.
I was thinking at 5-7 lbs' of sugar. No good?
__________________
Firstnten is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oregon Fruit Puree... Pelikan Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 25 07-28-2013 10:35 PM
Oregon Puree in syrup? Crayfish Recipes/Ingredients 2 01-05-2009 10:12 PM
Oregon Fruit Puree nsrstka Recipes/Ingredients 3 07-16-2008 03:47 AM
Oregon Raspberry Puree buckeyebrewer Recipes/Ingredients 2 03-30-2008 09:59 PM
Clearing a beer with Oregon Puree anthrobe Recipes/Ingredients 4 08-08-2007 08:07 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS