Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Orange Juice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2005, 02:17 PM   #1
brutal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Orange Juice

Has anyone ever tried to ferment orange juice? Is it even possible? If so, how was it??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2005, 07:25 PM   #2
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Only by adding Vodka

Old 03-28-2005, 01:53 AM   #3
jjsscram
Recipes 

I was given a very old wine making book by my father-in-law. In this book it talk about orange wine being one of the easyest to make.

Old 03-30-2005, 09:41 PM   #4
Buddhabuddha
Recipes 

I had never heard of this until today and one of my friends asked if you could ferment orange juice..
I would "guess" that a champagne yeast would work well, I mean, you can ferment apples, and they are similar in there acidity... although, I don't know how they compare on fermentable sugars..?

Primary= Dos Equis Style Lager
Primary= Chilean Merlot
Secondary= APE cider...(apple grape)
Bottles=A late "Oktoberfest"
Bottles= American Lite (gotta keep the wife happy)
Bottles= Hard Cider! (um yeah, got hammered while bottling these)
Bottles= couple of these, couple of those...

"Yeah, why don't I go eat some hay. I can make things out of clay, or lay by the bay, I just may. Whaddya say?."

Old 04-01-2005, 06:10 PM   #5
beerios
Recipes 

This is an interesting topic…. I have been wondering about this for awhile.

I am kind of new in this area, but here are my thoughts….

Anything with sugar can be fermented. Somethings contain more sugar, and/or taste better than others. Since just about every fruit contains sugars they can all be fermented.

When I was in University I had a water bottled filled with OJ that was in my book bag for months and months. A nice black book bag, that warmed up in the heat. I had forgotten about this bottle until the end of the year when I was cleaning out my bookbag...ohhh I found the bottle, which was ready to burst. When I opened it, I discovered that it foamed like crazy, and a little taste test told me it was now carbonated. YUK!

I always figured that some yeast cells trapped in the bottle with the juice made it ferment and carbonate. Just like we bottle beer with some extra sugar or champagne is bottled before all the sugar is fermented. Yeast cells exist naturally and float through the air, live on and in us, etc. The earliest brewers would place their brews outside waiting for the magic yeast ferries to ferment their brew. This was long before anyone knew the actual process that was occurring, and decided to have better control over the actual yeast. So I figured since this bottle was previously opened many times and not the cleanest, that enough yeast found its way in to carbonate my OJ.

I could be way off, as this is not my area… but just a guess. I do know it tasted awful, but hey I am not a fan of orange pop anyways. Raspberry beer, yuk. I like my brew to taste like it should.

Old 04-01-2005, 08:10 PM   #6
D-brewmeister

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutal
Has anyone ever tried to ferment orange juice? Is it even possible? If so, how was it??
Yeah, sombody posted this thread about a prison hooch beverage made from oranges, called Pruno. Truly vile stuff, but a funny article to read:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=536&highlight=pruno
Guid ale keeps my heart aboon!
-- Robert Burns

Old 04-05-2005, 10:27 PM   #7
beerios
Recipes 

From Minute Maid web site: http://www.minutemaid.com/aboutus/faqs.shtml

How Can I Tell if a Product is Spoiled?

The product should be discarded if it shows signs of:

Fermentation - A product may ferment when air, containing microorganisms, enters a container. Fermentation will change the flavor and aroma of the product. The packaging may begin to swell and the container could burst.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:59 AM   #8
Loweface
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Here's a recipe for orange wine. Not sure how you'd convert it to use orange juice

http://www.easy-wine.net/making-homemade-orange-wine.htm

Orange Wine

10 lbs very ripe oranges
6 lbs granulated sugar
2 gallons water
½ teaspoon grape tannin
2 teaspoons yeast nutrient
1 ounce wine yeast

Boil the two gallons of water in a large stockpot. Peel the oranges, carefully removing all of the pith. Separate the oranges into sections and remove the seeds. Place orange sections into a blender and liquefy. Place liquefied oranges, sugar, tannin, and yeast nutrient into primary fermentation container. Add boiling water and stir until sugar is dissolved. Cover and cool until mixture is room temperature. Add yeast, cover, and ferment for one week. Strain liquid through a finely meshed bag, and transfer to a glass secondary fermentation container. Seal with airtight lid, and rack once a month for four months. Stabilize, wait one week and rack into bottles. Age at least one year before drinking.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:59 AM   #9
demonrichie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loweface View Post
Here's a recipe for orange wine. Not sure how you'd convert it to use orange juice

http://www.easy-wine.net/making-homemade-orange-wine.htm

Orange Wine

10 lbs very ripe oranges
6 lbs granulated sugar
2 gallons water
½ teaspoon grape tannin
2 teaspoons yeast nutrient
1 ounce wine yeast

Boil the two gallons of water in a large stockpot. Peel the oranges, carefully removing all of the pith. Separate the oranges into sections and remove the seeds. Place orange sections into a blender and liquefy. Place liquefied oranges, sugar, tannin, and yeast nutrient into primary fermentation container. Add boiling water and stir until sugar is dissolved. Cover and cool until mixture is room temperature. Add yeast, cover, and ferment for one week. Strain liquid through a finely meshed bag, and transfer to a glass secondary fermentation container. Seal with airtight lid, and rack once a month for four months. Stabilize, wait one week and rack into bottles. Age at least one year before drinking.
id think take out the oranges, maybe a bit of sugar and possibly the grape tannin and roll with it. to make it as good as it could be experiment by adjusting batch by batch or mini batches and backsweeten some. best bet would be to go with 100% orange juice and the one main thing to do...no potassium sorbate. oh yes and if you get an amazing batch post recipe

Old 08-13-2010, 12:45 PM   #10
jfkriege
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have some orange juice in a mead that I made. It was a small amount, but it turned out quite excellent.

Quick Reply