Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Orange Choc Port vs Raspberry Choc Port Poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2009, 04:12 AM   #1
SueMac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Orange Choc Port vs Raspberry Choc Port Poll

Okay, I'm making my plan for later in the year when special kits are available.

I made 3 gallons of Orange Chocolate Port in mid-December. My husband LOVES it and even though the Port is barely 3 months bottled, there are only a few of the 15 bottles remaining.
While I'm hoping to get at least 2 OCP kits next fall, I'm wondering how the Orange Raspberry Port compares. There are those who have stated that the ORP is a lot better. If you've tasted both, WHAT DO YOU THINK???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
Texron
Recipes 

Thanks for asking this question-I'm interested in others oppinions as well. I have an OCP that is bulk aging and it does taste very good right now-after just a few months. I have wondered about the Orange Rasberry myself. Maybe I'll do one of each next year.

Question for you on the batch of OCP......did you "tweak" it with any everclear?

Old 05-10-2009, 02:09 PM   #3
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

I made the OC Port a couple of years ago and, without exception, everyone loved it. I may have a 375 or two buried somewhere... My Chocolate Raspberry Port has been bulk aging for 6 months and I haven't even sneaked a taste yet so I don't know how it compares. I've heard good things about it but I do know the Orange has taken 3-4 times as many awards.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:14 PM   #4
SueMac
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texron View Post
Thanks for asking this question-I'm interested in others oppinions as well. I have an OCP that is bulk aging and it does taste very good right now-after just a few months. I have wondered about the Orange Rasberry myself. Maybe I'll do one of each next year.

Question for you on the batch of OCP......did you "tweak" it with any everclear?
No, I didn't tweak it for a few reasons. First, Everclear isn't available in MA. I believe RI is the closest state to sell it. I thought about adding brandy but with all the craziness before Christmas when I made it, I forgot to add it when I racked to secondary. By the time I realized it, it was close to the time I could bottle. I still could have added it and then bulk aged a lot longer but impatience overruled!
It tastes great and has enough of a kick without anything added. Next time I may add brandy and will bulk age longer so my husband won't touch it! (Okay, maybe I'll be nice and make in 2 separate carboys and he can touch 1/2!)

Old 05-11-2009, 01:30 PM   #5
DoctorCAD
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I went to a local home brew beer and wine show last weekend. The "Best in Show" was a Rasberry Chocolate Port that a friend of mine made.

He is a beer brewer.

It was his first attempt at a kit wine. Finish date is still one month away.

Couldn't keep enough open bottles on the counter!

Not my style, but everybody else LOVED it.

Quick Reply