Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Off flavor/taste in Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2008, 08:01 PM   #1
Cugel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Off flavor/taste in Apfelwein

Hey there everyone!

Just tasted my Apfelwein which I started on April 20 (2008), and just racked it off the yeast/trub into a second carboy. My brief sample was unimpressive, I had a smell and taste that was just off. Or so I think. Problem is I cannot describe the taste. I've always been a fanatic about my sanitization, and have never made a bad batch of anything before.

I used montrachet yeast and 5 gallons apple cider (pasteurized) plus 1 lb of brown sugar.

The smell/taste was like nothing I have experienced before. Can it be related to too much CO2? The apfelwein started outgassing CO2 once it was in the secondary - the airlock was bubbling somewhat.

Can anyone describe some of the off odors/tastes that I might expect in Apfelwein?

Many thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2008, 10:13 PM   #2
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have alway experienced an...OFF....Flavor when I use Brown sugar in anything. It brings a lot of the carmelized cane juice flavor with it and it doesn't ferment too well....IMHO.
Apfelwein (Ed's version) is a super clean and very crisp drink. Because of this, there is nothing to cover the flavor of the brown sugar like in other wines where it is used.
Why did you rack? I have never needed to rack Apfelwein till today, when i decided that after 3 months my experiment was not clearing. I did 5 gallons with organic evaporated cane juice and Pasteur.

All I can say...I'm sure glad this one was in addition to and not instead of...the regular Ed Wort Regimen of fermentation.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:09 PM   #3
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 253 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Well, it's tough to help you since you did not follow the recipe, but as BK says, it can be the brown sugar. Aged Apfelwein will have apple aroma, will be dry & crisp.

Try a batch with corn sugar and let this age some more.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:40 PM   #4
Cugel
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
Well, it's tough to help you since you did not follow the recipe, but as BK says, it can be the brown sugar. Aged Apfelwein will have apple aroma, will be dry & crisp.

Try a batch with corn sugar and let this age some more.
Thanks Ed and BK. I will follow the official recipe and make some more. I'll let this batch age some too.

I guess I was expecting something along the lines of regular british/Irish-style (hard) cider... Bulmers and the like. That cider taste was definately there after I swallowed, but muted in comparison to the "other" taste.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:43 PM   #5
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 253 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Can't you describe the "other" taste?

Old 06-13-2008, 04:05 PM   #6
Cugel
Recipes 

Well I figured the "problem" out (I think). I tasted again last night to describe the off flavor and discovered that it's 99% gone. Incidentally last night I also I tasted some very young wine that I'm aging and discovered a similar taste.

I guess this common taste would be related to the green-ness of it all.

The apple flavors are starting to come through with a small bready (yeast-related?) aftertaste. A small apple aroma. Very minor effervescence... some bubble floating to surface.

Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply