Oak fermenting vat questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First question: Where is the least expensive place to get oak fermenting vats in the USA / company to source them from?

Second question: How long will oak vats last for? I've heard everything from 25 to 100 years. If you use a vat seasonally (i.e. every fall and winter, but not spring and summer) will it last less long?

1. Not sure

2. I've heard thatr even one ferment in an oak vat can render it neutral. One of the reasons they cost so much. They are more or less a disposable item in winemaking. You can add oak spirals to the wine, but you can do that in glass, plastic or SST vats also.

Not sure where the cheapest place is, it really depends on the size and quantity that you are planning on buying, I get mine from Vadai.

Oak barrels can last a lifetime, but after a few years of constant use, they will become neutral, you will need to add oak staves in order to get the oak imparted into the wine, however, you will still be able to benefit from the micro-oxygenation.

Back