Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Not sure why I bought a wine kit...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2007, 02:10 PM   #1
drummer3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Not sure why I bought a wine kit...

But I was at my LHBS yesterday and was talking to the owner. I always wanted to try making some wine and asked how the kits were. She said that they have come a long way over the last ten years. So on a whim I bought a Vintners Reserve Pinot Nior. Does anyone have any imput on what I should do or not do? I heard that it's better to make 5 gallons instead of the reconmended 6 gallons. The directions seem, well, basic. I've been doing a little reserch on wine but not enough to know what I'm doing. She also suggested to wait longer to bottle than what the instructions say.
Any help is appreciated

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2007, 02:42 PM   #2
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

I found this one pretty useful.

This one too

Old 02-04-2007, 02:56 PM   #3
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Here's an outstanding tutorial. It's kinda long but it steps you through the whole process and it has photos.

http://www.winepress.us/forums/index.php?showtopic=1011

Cheers,
Rich

Old 02-06-2007, 12:23 AM   #4
JohnnyK68
Recipes 

Wine kits are about as easy as it gets. However, with those 7.5L reds I would definatley only do 5 gals or it will be way too thin. What I would do is ferment 5.5 gals. at first racking rack to a 6 gal carboy because step 3 (degassing with a fizz-X or mix stir) will be alot easier in the 6. However, when it is time to final rack to the carboy after adding the fining agent rack it to a 5, and whatever you do, do not top up at all with water. You should not have to top this up at all, but if you do use a like wine. Dont buy expensive wine for topping up though. I wouldnt have bought the 7.5 to do a red. I just did a 10L RJ Spagnols Petite Sirah and I am not happy with it at all at this point (just bottled Sat). It was way too thin made at 6 gallons. I added some heavy toast oak spirals and let them sit for about 5 weeks, but it didnt help all that much. The 7.5s are ok for some whites, but when wanting the bold reds like that use no less then a good 15L kit. Wine kits to me seem to be a "you get what you pay for" situation.

Quick Reply